RME Babyface Pro

cclarry

9 minutes ago, Carlos said:

Thanks mate, highly appreciated. Just wondering how the Babyface and my DAC (USB) can work together?
For example, in Reaper, you have to select an interface (or DAC) but not both.
That's my main concern.

Use the Babyface as your audio interface and connect the main outputs to the inputs of the Schiit. I believe the Schiit only has RCA inputs so you'll need to find the proper cables.

3 minutes ago, John Bohlen said:

Use the Babyface as your audio interface and connect the main outputs to the inputs of the Schiit. I believe the Schiit only has RCA inputs so you'll need to find the proper cables.

I think you mean connect the Babeface output to my Schiit headphones preamp. Is just if the Babeface doesn't sound king of great, all the Schiit preamp will do is amplify that not so greatness. But if the headphones output (or line outputs ) are clean and perfectly defined (ok, perfectly is a strong word, lol) then yeah, the Schiit will make it sound beyond amazing. Cheers.

4 minutes ago, Christian Jones said:

So the "FS" in the Babyface Pro has to do w/ an improved DAC? 

Clockwork and jitterness, so I've read it will improve yeah the output (even more, because they say it was great for starters with the Pro version anyways, I've read great stuff about it on GS, but I ALWAYS have my doubts).

3 minutes ago, Carlos said:

I think you mean connect the Babeface output to my Schiit headphones preamp. Is just if the Babeface doesn't sound king of great, all the Schiit preamp will do is amplify that not so greatness. But if the headphones output (or line outputs ) are clean and perfectly defined (ok, perfectly is a strong word, lol) then yeah, the Schiit will make it sound beyond amazing. Cheers.

I wouldn't go with the headphone output. Use the line outputs form the Babyface. They sound great.

10 minutes ago, synthmeister said:

You can read about the differences between the headphone outs and line outs on the RME PDF users' manual.

Yeah, but words can't really tell if they sound great or not, that's why I am pleading you people to let me know if you find this interface's output (whether headphones or line outputs) sounding great or amazing or meh.

I could post on GS too and ask there :P (although I've read enough replies in there too like in 15 threads, I've done my homework).

15 minutes ago, Carlos said:

This is what I wanted to know ;) Thanks so much. Will hold your word to it, ok? lol 🤗

😄… it won't disappoint. The headphone amplifier had enough power to drive my LCD-2's (70 ohms), but can't say for your DT-990's. 250 ohms? That's just crazy. Maybe the issue are the headphones... 🤣

• Like 1

1 minute ago, John Bohlen said:

😄… it won't disappoint. The headphone amplifier had enough power to drive my LCD-2's (70 ohms), but can't say for your DT-990's. 250 ohms? That's just crazy. Maybe the issue are the headphones... 🤣

Power is not what I am concerned about, but clarity, punch, TIMBER (Sound Quality). If it's kind of low, that's ok, that's where my headphones amplifier comes. But I read the Babyface Pro doesn't have an issue driving 250 ohms headphones. Cheers.

19 minutes ago, Carlos said:

Power is not what I am concerned about, but clarity, punch, TIMBER (Sound Quality). If it's kind of low, that's ok, that's where my headphones amplifier comes. But I read the Babyface Pro doesn't have an issue driving 250 ohms headphones. Cheers.

Dude, these days the audio clarity and punch is no longer an issue even for the low end audio interfaces. No matter how great the sound it renders, if the headphone amp doesn't have the power to drive the headphone drivers (at 250 ohms they need a lot of power for the drivers to vibrate)... it's always going to sound crappy no matter what. Instead of hanging on to a pair of cheap so-so headphones and spending a ton of money on interfaces and gear to drive them, it would've been easier and simpler just to replace your headphones.

44 minutes ago, John Bohlen said:

Dude, these days the audio clarity and punch is no longer an issue even for the low end audio interfaces. No matter how great the sound it renders, if the headphone amp doesn't have the power to drive the headphone drivers (at 250 ohms they need a lot of power for the drivers to vibrate)... it's always going to sound crappy no matter what. Instead of hanging on to a pair of cheap so-so headphones and spending a ton of money on interfaces and gear to drive them, it would've been easier and simpler just to replace your headphones.

And we're back to square one.

26 minutes ago, Carlos said:

And we're back to square one.

I'm not sure what the issue is now. You already have the DAC which has plenty of power to drive your headphones. At this point, any audio interface will do as long as you connect the line outputs to the DAC. 😉

@Carlos Longtime RME user here. BabyFace in the office (the original), UFX in the studio (again, the original; as I said, longtime user).
The DT-990's sound great on the BabyFace in the office (headphone output).
In  the studio UFX outputs 1-2 drive the Adam A7's and outputs 3-4 drive a Presonus HP-60 headphone amp; all good, all around.
I'll take the 990's out to the studio today and compare the HP-60 to the UFX headphone outs, then report back.
In the studio everything is "closed back" for tracking, not "ideal" for critical listening...

tom

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, DeeringAmps said:

@Carlos Longtime RME user here. BabyFace in the office (the original), UFX in the studio (again, the original; as I said, longtime user).
The DT-990's sound great on the BabyFace in the office (headphone output).
In  the studio UFX outputs 1-2 drive the Adam A7's and outputs 3-4 drive a Presonus HP-60 headphone amp; all good, all around.
I'll take the 990's out to the studio today and compare the HP-60 to the UFX headphone outs, then report back.
In the studio everything is "closed back" for tracking, not "ideal" for critical listening...

tom

Thanks Tom, glad you hear it sounds great (again, looking that it sounds good/great/amazing not so much about power, since I have a headphones amplifier).
Looking forward to hearing from you again ;)

@Carlos
Ok I did some critical listening with the DT990's (open back) & DT770's (closed back).
I felt there was no discernible difference in the HP-60 and the UFX headphone outs.
Now true story, at 68 my ears are "compromised" and not just by age. I have more than
"just a bit" of tinnitus; so take what I experienced with that in mind. What I was surprised
by was how close the DT's were. Both are very "present" in a good way, with well defined low end.
I also tried some K270's, Ultrasone 650's (very thin actually), neither were as "present", nor as
balanced in the low end. I have a set of Sony MD something, these are retro fitted (can't remember
the vendor) with "cuffs" that pretty much let no bleed out. I use these when tracking vocals or
acoustic guitar. Better than the K270 and Ultrasones, put not near as present as the DT's.
I do hope this helps in your quest.
Do I remember right, we discussed the DT's in a thread before, and you, at the time, were not a fan?

tom

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1