Help. X3e patch is ruining X3a install

Toddskins

I've reinstalled X3 Sonar three times today, and am afraid to run the X3e Patch now (which will be attempt #3 when I try again).  I want to get everything running on Sonar properly before reinstalling CbB. 

Twice today, when I begin to run the X3e Patch, it tells me it cannot copy a file that is already in use.  Do I wish to Abort, Ignore, or Try Again?  I tried the other 2 options to no avail, so finally chose Ignore.  It then would go on for a few seconds when it would come up again on another file and ask the same question.  3 times that happened when it then told me I had an unsuccessful install.

And to my dismay, Sonar X3a's application file (C:\Program Files\Cakewalk\SONAR X3 Producer\SONARPDR.exe) had gotten deleted and the Sonar desktop app icon turned into something else.  When I used VoidTools' Everything utility, there was no trace of a Sonar .exe file anywhere.  I then restored using Ghost image file (which did not have my Sonar installed) and tried again to reinstall Sonar, which went fine, until the X3e patch.

And lastly, Dimension Pro 1.5 registration number I have did not work the 3rd time so that's another issue I have to somehow resolve.

This is a laptop with Windows 7 Pro 64-bit.

Also, the 2nd time I tried the X3e Patch, I ran it as administrator but that did not help.

Anyone?

P.S. I rebooted the PC after X3a was working on the 2nd attempt before running the X3e patch to make sure the system was free of any resources before the attempt.  It did not help.

Edited by Toddskins

Things to try:

- Disconnect any bus-powered audio interfaces.  Optionally, uninstall those drivers.

- Do a CLEAN uninstall of Sonar using this guide:

https://www.cakewalk.com/Support/Knowledge-Base/2007013392/SONAR-2015-Clean-Install-Instructions

- Re-download the Sonar installers/patches from CW Command Center.  Temporarily disable anti-virus during install process.  Using Run as Administrator, install Sonar X3, reboot system, then install Sonar X3e.  Reboot system again.

- If you get this far without strange problems or error messages, you're probably good to go and can just reinstall interface drivers, enable antivirus, and proceed as normal.

15 hours ago, JonD said:

Things to try:

- Disconnect any bus-powered audio interfaces.  Optionally, uninstall those drivers.

- Do a CLEAN uninstall of Sonar using this guide:

https://www.cakewalk.com/Support/Knowledge-Base/2007013392/SONAR-2015-Clean-Install-Instructions

- Re-download the Sonar installers/patches from CW Command Center.  Temporarily disable anti-virus during install process.  Using Run as Administrator, install Sonar X3, reboot system, then install Sonar X3e.  Reboot system again.

- If you get this far without strange problems or error messages, you're probably good to go and can just reinstall interface drivers, enable antivirus, and proceed as normal.

Jon, the anti-virus suggestion applies to me.  I had not turned that off before running the patch.  But regarding uninstalling my Sonar Producer .... My Ghost image/restore was a completely clean install of Windows 7 64-bit with a few other programs.  I had never installed Sonar on it, so uninstalling before reinstalling.... does not seem like that would be the culprit. 

I have all the Sonar install files on a separate drive from which I ran the first Sonar X3 Producer file and allowed the install to do its thing.   

I'm going to try running the patch again in a few minutes, but with Antivirus turned off.  I do not have any external audio (thus no bus drivers to uninstall).

Lastly, my Command Center does not give me access to installing Sonar Producer.  Just 3 things of which only 1 do I qualify to use.   Ignoring the Demo Products (Sonar Platinum, CA-2A T-Type Leveling Amplifier, and Rapture Pro Demo) my Connected Products gives me these 3:

30th Anniversary CA-X amps (which I am unable to install)

30th Anniversary Rapture Expansion Pack (which I am unable to install), and

Z3TA +2 (which I did install)

So I have to use my own Sonar Install files on a different drive.

If I have assumed something wrong, please let me know.  I can always restore the Laptop and try again.  Installing Sonar goes fine, right up until I'm ready to run the X3e Patch.

One other thing, that might be the culprit - I might have run some install files twice, because of my not knowing any better.  I have in separate folders (Dimension Pro Setup Files and 04_Dimension_Pro_1.5_Expansion_Packs) and ran those corresponding executables which told me it was going to overwrite files with the same name, so maybe that caused a problem.  I was uncertain whether or not the expansion packs was something extra I should run manually, or was inclusive to the normal install.  I also have a couple of Rapture Free Expansion Packs (1 and 2) that I ran after Sonar had finished. 

If the X3e Patch fails again with AntiVirus turned off, I will do yet another restore, but will not run the Dimension Pro Setup file again, nor the Rapture Expansion Packs 1 & 2.  Maybe running them is the culprit.

I'll come back in an hour or so and report the latest attempt.

Edited by Toddskins