"A Very, Very Troubled Soul" - video added

PhonoBrainer

"Boy meets girl. Girl likes to dance! Then Grandpa warns them about dictatorship." . . . absolutely hilarious . . . so well recorded and thought out. If this is "revisited" . . . well,  I never heard the original, so it all sounds just new and fresh to me, with that old time analog bass thing of course. Is there a DX7 sound in there, or is that just me showing my age ? Now . . . I'm from Canada, should the subject matter have some significance I don't know about ? Anyways Tom, why aren't you famous with great stuff like this . . . maybe you are and I just don't know about it. The mix is top shelf, in my opinion, as per all your stuff.

Edited by noynekker

Tom   

Sounds like one of those precautionary tales from the 50s about reefer madness and communists.  Kind of hits your brain at an odd angle hearing the audio set to unrelated music. Might be fun to mess with the audio a bit more - more delays and such -  like you did at the end. Pretty cool what you came up with.

@noynekker - wow thanks, just trying to have a little fun straight outta 2016. The video I'm also reworking will maybe shed light. HEY! I had a DX7 in the golden beyond and played the crap out of it, so perhaps it's there in spirit if not in reality . . . sure appreciate the comments, many thanks!

@garybrun - thanks! and the voice over guy is an Indiana senator giving a speech in maybe 1940 warning against America's involvement in the lend-lease program . . . from a really old movie, so I have fair scrubbed most of the scratch off of it!!! Good idea though . . . many thanks!

@bjornpdx - yes there absolutely is more room for delays and such, and I thought about taking it full dubstep, but just never got it there. I might sneak back and slather a little more effectery in there. thanks for the idea and the listen!

@Douglas Kirby - yes, lounge, it has a bit of that, thanks. The brass I fiddled with, it's Hollywood Pop Brass but using Zynaptique Unveil to suck the room rvb off of it. I think I took too much away perhaps. Thanks for the comment!

@DeeringAmps - glad you liked the groove in there! It's a speech by an Indiana Senator in 1940 I culled from an old movie. He was speaking in opposition to America's paarticipation in the Lend Lease program, and the dictator he was warning us against was in fact FDR! So it was partisan as hell, just like our own wonderful times . . . thanks for the comment!

@geeare1- cool, glad you liked it, and thanks for the comment!

@Wookiee - yes, classic DX7! This time from the Canterbury EP, a very cool chorusy yet clear patch. Thanks, glad the furry paws were tapping!

• Like 2

Wonderful !  A funky beat to an old message how creative.  I had to look up who the senator might have been that you mentioned above because of the anti-fascist dictatorship statements that he was making.  Was it Senator Wendell Willkie?  If so, he was a long time Democrat who turned Republican in late 1939 but was a stanch supporter of the UK and the lend lease program.  Be that as it may, this was a great  and well done piece that you created --- fun but thought provoking.  Well done indeed!!!!

Well, I added the video. Let me know if you like it or hate it? Thanks!

@Lynn - yes it is a bit toe tappin' dystopian! I appreciate your mix comments and many thanks!

@freddy j - excellent history lesson, sir! I pulled that vid about four years ago, and since then, have been too lost in the editing of sheep to remember what exactly the original political point was. I think it was Wilke. It was very baaaaaaaad of me to not remember.  Many thanks for your observations!

@thegaltieribrothers - glad the funk found you and thanks so much for the listen!

@bjornpdx - yes a bit of LBJ and maybe also some of that current Senator from Kentucky? I dunno. Thanks for the mix comments, it was a four year project!