Recording automation with wah type expression pedal?

Shawn T

Kinda how the title says it. I would like to be able to record automation information into my Cakewalk using an expression pedal, mostly for wah, whammy and volume swell effects. As a guitarist, using a mouse in a plugin or "drawing" it just isnt intuitive like a pedal would be. Is this possible?  And if so how? I have a Mission expression pedal that is set up to use with my VooDoo Labs Ground Control Pro that I use to control my Axe FX 2, I also have a Line 6 Helix LT, would either of these be an option to use? 

While we are on the topic, does anyone know how to do automation with the wheels or sliders from a Nektar 49+?

Before I have pretty much printed my wah, whammy, effect on/off during recording, but want to move in this new direction of implementing midi and using controllers ect so I can focus on the performances as we are writing and worry about everything else after. 

Any help is greatly appreciated. 

I am totally unfamiliar with your gear, but I have used pedals on an ART X-15 which generates MIDI and was wondering about your pedals and routing. The Questions section of the website has this:

What is the difference between an EP-1 and an SP-1?

The EP-1 pedal is an expression pedal with a single output. The SP-1 includes a toe switch connected to a second output. The switch on the SP-1 can be used with compatible devices such as some MIDI controllers, modelers, and multi effects units that support an external switch. The switch is commonly used to turn an effect on and off, similar to a traditional analog wah pedal.

So, I am wondering if the pedal is routed through your gear in such a way as to generate midi data. I looked at pictures of your VooDoo unit, but not the manual. It has pedal I/Os.  Does it convert the voltage to midi data? The blurb at Sweetwater makes me think it does.

You can name each of your presets on the bright, stage-friendly alphanumeric display, and you can use volume or expression pedals to add real-time control of your sound with MIDI continuous controller messages.

So, if the VooDoo's magic will let you configure setups (presets) you can switch with the buttons to define maps for the pedal, that's the way I would go if I had those.

That's as far as I got; maybe it adds something to what you already know.

Edited by User 905133

1 hour ago, Shawn T said:

I would like to be able to record automation information into my Cakewalk using an expression pedal, mostly for wah, whammy and volume swell effects.

[..] Any help is greatly appreciated. 

Um, not sure if this is helpful or not but here:

http://www.prodigalsounds.com/blog/post/2019/08/05/Using-a-MIDI-controller-with-Guitar-Rig-VST-in-Cakewalk

• Like 1

I use an fcb 1010 for this. Works fine in the latest version of cakewalk. Route the midi to a midi enabled synth, like thu. Do midi learn on the pedal of choice and play away. Search for videos on YouTube of fcb1010 and cakewalk or sonar.

Edited by Gswitz

Another option is the Pedal Controller, a small box from MIDI Solutions. This accepts an expression pedal input and outputs your choice of MIDI controllers. (For do-it-yourselfers, the circuit board is small enough you can probably mount it in a pedal if you want a stand-alone MIDI pedal.) It can also generate aftertouch and pitch bend, so it's good for more than just control change information.

• Like 1