Rockcake

Rockcake

Question

Hello Cakewalk Community,

I have no experience in music making, Just trying to learn.  

I have a problem with not being able to record anything with Cakewalk Version 2020,01 build 28, 64 bit.

I have downloaded & watched a number of videos, all show how to add a midi or controller. I don’t have any midi’s or controllers, all I want to do is record some instrument’s so I can attach to some Home Videos for personal use.

Is it possible to use Cakewalk without having to install or attach external devices?

I can’t seem to find an internal input device that will work on / with my laptop.

Can anyone help me with my setup? & advise me how to set up Cakewalk?

I am 71yrs old & not too tech minded, can get by with basics.

My computer details below:  

Microsoft Windows 10 Home Version     10.0.18363 Build 18363

HP ENVY m6 1117TX Notebook PC (Purchased December 2011)  HDD: 750GB

Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-3632QM CPU @ 2.20GHz, 2201 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 8 Logical Processor(s)

BIOS Version/Date: Insyde F.25, 21/01/2013.    SMBIOS Version:                2.7

Embedded Controller Version:  73.80.     BIOS Mode: UEFI

BaseBoard Manufacturer: Hewlett-Packard. BaseBoard Product:              18A5. BaseBoard Version: 73.50

Platform: Mobile.  Installed Physical Memory (RAM): 8.00 GB. Total Physical Memory: 7.90 GB

Available Physical Memory: 3.85 GB.  Virtual Memory: 9.15 GB. Available Virtual Memory: 2.74 GB

Graphics: Intel HD 4000 series.   AMD: Radeon HD7670M

I have attached some screen shots for clarification.

Thanks in advance

Cakewalk Devices.jpg

CW Driver Settings.jpg

CW play & Rec Set.jpg

CW Sound Card.jpg

Input Not Known.png

Wind Sound Device.jpg

5 answers to this question

Thanks Wunderbier, much appreciated.

I will persevere with Studio One for the time being, but will try you option when I get a moment.

Thank you and I will sign off (not sure how to close conversation)  

On 3/16/2020 at 5:50 PM, wunderbier said:

Ah, okay. You don't have to worry about any input devices in that case. Your settings look good, but I have better luck with WASAPI Shared driver mode. If you right click in the trck pane, select "Insert Instrument...", choose "SI-Electric Piano", press "Create" and hit Alt+0 to bring up the keyboard, can you make sound?

But also, if Studio One works for you with less hassle and does everything you want, that's probably the right choice for now.

will sign off (not sure how to close conversation)  

It's entirely possible to use Cakewalk for editing and mixing without any external devices. What instruments do you want to record and what equipment do you have in that regard? There might be a snag depending  on that answer. You won't need a midi keyboard/controller for live instruments though.

Hi Wunderbier, 

Thank you for reply, I do not want to actually record any physical outside instruments.

All I would like to do is record tracks using my computer and use the built in virtual? instruments built into the program.

I have managed to actually record record the metronome using the WDM input on sound card but it defaults to the computer speakers not my Benq monitor speakers. I don't seem to get any sound. none of the other inputs seem to be compatable  with my sound card. I also tried to activate the Tracktion 7 program and the same happens, it does not recognise my sound card in my computer. I have also tried PreSonus Studio One 4 Prime and I can hear all the instruments, so I will give that ago.

Seams like my computer is a bit old 2011 HP Envy6 1117Tx 

Regards,

Rockcake

Ah, okay. You don't have to worry about any input devices in that case. Your settings look good, but I have better luck with WASAPI Shared driver mode. If you right click in the track pane, select "Insert Instrument...", choose "SI-Electric Piano", press "Create" and hit Alt+0 to bring up the keyboard, can you make sound?

But also, if Studio One works for you with less hassle and does everything you want, that's probably the right choice for now.