SSD Drive to Replace current HDD data drive

JoeGBradford

Hi all - not sure this is in the best place but mods please feel free to move it!

I am at the point where I am thinking of replacing my several years old 1Tb HDD for a SSD. My system drive (recently replaced) is a 250Gb Samsung Evo 850

I am wondering whether to go for an internal SATA drive or an external drive linked via USB 3 - I have two ports on my PC

Chatting to a friend who knows more than I do about hardware he felt that there would be little difference in performance in similarly spec'd drives but I'd like the advice of those here who might have some experience of either option in terms of working with CbB and other music software and I'd prefer the external drive simply because it would save me messing about inside the PC but I don't want to suffer reduced performance in terms of sample loading / streaming. I could also then use the old HDD for less critical applications such as games until it dies

I've been looking at the following drives - any advice would be gratefully received. I'm on Windows 10,  i5 processor and 8Gb RAM.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Samsung-MZ-76E1T0B-EU-Solid-State/dp/B078WST5RK

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Samsung-MU-PA1T0B-Portable-SSD-1TB/dp/B074M774TW

I should add that I can get £40 cash back on external SSD so cost is less of an issue

Edited by JoeGBradford

I'm not sure an external drive will ever give you the speed of an internal drive of the same type.  I think some of the sample vendors recommend against it, but this may be old information because it comes from an old guy.

I would recommend getting a Samsung internal SATA SSD like your EVO 850.  I also suggest that you splurge for the biggest one you can afford if you are serious about using your DAW in the long run.  (Prices continue to drop on SSD's as you have surely noticed.)  I recently had to go from 1 to 2TB for my Audio Drive and 2 to 4 TB for my Samples Drive, just because everything adds up.

Good luck

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Alan Bachman said:

Would going to the Samsung evo pro 860 over regular 860 - be worth the difference?  A C drive needs to be very stable.   Or is it throwing money away?

Just checked and I've had the 250gb Samsung 850 SSD as my system drive for over two years now and no problems at all (touch wood!) I'd be willing to trust a standard 860 as my data drive (backed up regularly of course!)

If there is space inside your PC, stock it up with internal SSDs. You dont say what SATA chipset you have, if they are only SATA 2 then ext USB3 External might be a good choice. I doubt you PC would still have SATA 2, but check it out.

Same drive from here https://www.ebuyer.com/871714-samsung-860-qvo-sata-iii-2-5-inch-1tb-ssd-mz-76q1t0bw

save £30 over amazon, 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, A'Tuin said:

If there is space inside your PC, stock it up with internal SSDs. You dont say what SATA chipset you have, if they are only SATA 2 then ext USB3 External might be a good choice. I doubt you PC would still have SATA 2, but check it out.

Same drive from here https://www.ebuyer.com/871714-samsung-860-qvo-sata-iii-2-5-inch-1tb-ssd-mz-76q1t0bw

save £30 over amazon, 

Thanks for this - is the QVO a similar or better model to the EVO? Also how do I find if I have SATA 2 or 3 - I've looked in system spec but the only reference I'v seen to SATA is Standard SATA AHCI Controller which tells me nothing 

Thanks for all the advice - I've had a good think and read around about this and decided to go for the external drive for now - simply because of ease of installing. If I am unhappy with the performance I can always pick up an internal drive - I imagine it will be quicker than my internal HDD anyway even though basic USB 3. I can then keep my HDD for games & other non critical applications  / files until it dies