'Preferences --> Keybinding' Blues

Astraios

🤗Hi out there,
wondering if I'm the only user waiting 'ten hours' for reaction by changing the parameters in: preferences--> keybinding?

Other Question - do you know about the existence of a complete empty unbinding *.kbn file. Like to have this one, 'cause I have my own straight ideas combinding keys an associations. Maybe the expected kbn-file is lost or deleted in my path.

All the best from  Berlin 🎅

Oh, thanks for respond! I realized Bandlab modified a few things inside keybinding structure and the "SONAR Default Key Assignments.kbn" now is free from those many associazions. That's cool... 👀 So I get rid of all these:  no action keybindings.

👍  but some parameter-changes still take a Long time

Hmmm, well I have always had difficulty with Cakewalk's key assignments. Like you I like to create my own but there seems no way to totally get rid of Cakewalk's default assignments which keep popping up in preference to those which I have put in. And yes, I have checked my assignments are consistent across all views, e.g. global, console, track etc. To disable a default key assignment the advice is to either overwrite it with one of your own or assign the key to 'do nothing'.  And yet still my own assignments keep getting hijacked. Hitting the apply button after making changes is also supposed to apply the changes to whatever project is next opened but that also doesn't seem consistent. It makes defining and managing my workflow extremely frustrating. I wonder if the whole key assignments bit of Cakewalk is due for a revamp to make it more user-friendly. Maybe we can put in a plea for this.

'do nothing' is an opportunity - but!!! (don't know if it is still that way) after setting 20 or 30 'do nothings' sonar strikes und crashes...

so you have to save every 'do nothing' otherwise --> 😣 lost all 'do nothing'  assignments you made before and you start the whole process again.  As I wrote before, it seems they  uncoupled almost all 'comands' in the default kbn-file. Thank you Bandlab for making my workflow a lot easierer 😉

When you open the default kbn file in a text editor it certainly appears as though nothing is there. But but but.......although no lines linking keys with assignments show up in cakewalk preferences, many of the keys are in bold and default back to e.g. B for browser view. So it appears that Cakewalk's default key bindings are part of the default kbn file and are simply hidden from view.

Example. I want to assign G to show/hide bus pane (this comes from my Cubase days - G as for Group). So I do that in global bindings. But I have to do it again in Track View. And disable shift and J in track view which is the default for show/hide bus pane.  Then I hit apply then ok. And I also export the key assignments to a kbn file titled Sonar Custom. When I open up Cakewalk again, G is shown as assigned to show/hide bus pane in global assignments but has defaulted back to shift + j in the track view. And when I import my custom kbn file the same thing happens.

In my opinion, there needs to be an easy way to come up with a totally blank kbn file with no hidden default assignments. And the obscure way that keys can mean different things in different views just adds confusion. It needs a re-design. I think Cakewalk is now a very stable and user-friendly environment but the key bindings as they stand do not support easy workflow IMHO.

As an aside, there is a distinct lack of options in key bindings when it comes to working with Melodyne regions. Another 3 or 4 key bindings would make all the difference, especially as Melodyne's own shortcuts seem disabled in ARA mode.

Hey seadude, exactly the same what I experienced too with keybinding madness …  My vision of keybindig support would be a graphical, programmable 'pc-keyboard-layout' inside CbB to let me determine which hotkey  (or ctrl/shift/alt combination ) hits what… 🙃

Or even better.......let us do it in a text editor. Cakewalk's default shortcuts do follow a certain kind of logic. But in my opinion they do not aid workflow, especially when I want to navigate around a project jumping from one bar or marker to another. I prefer to have transport functions assigned to the number keypad single keystrokes, and also all my views assigned to single keystrokes so if I hit one by mistake nothing disastrous happens. I use ctrl + for the Windows default keys, copy, paste, with a few extras. Shift + are reserved for actions and alt + are used for additional actions, e.g. audio processing and odds and ends. I prefer not to use the longer combinations, ctrl+shift etc. 

I wonder if this is an issue for many other users?

Yep, you can do this with any pc- keyboard. Only precondition is a good conception, how to layout your keybindings. 

I choosed the numpad for all kinda transportation functions, loop and marker-settings

blue section is for HUB tool

arrows stand for -->  Ctrl/Shift/Alt  Ctrl+Shift

and so on...

this offers hundreds of possibilities. Imagine, almost every keyboardbutton could be linked in combi with ctrl/shift/alt and others

and ATNsoft (low cost) keyremapper software lets me route every botton on my pc-keyboard to where I want to have it.

Sonar Keyboard 1.jpg