Is freewill a hoax?

Jesse Screed

Maybe I should but no, I don't really care what Stephen Hawking thinks (thought). Same as Einstein he got a few of his calculations wrong.

Free will as I see it is the ability to determine our own direction. Just look at the world around you. Much of the problem is that people are doing what they want to do. One person can impose their free will over another person if they have the power to do that. In that sense wills can clash. My boss could decide to fire me on the spot for no reason other than he wanted to do it. He made a decision I was forced to accept. That still would not change MY will that I wanted to keep working. 

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, pwalpwal said:

yeah  but you need to define "free will" before we can discuss it 🙄

yo dude!

As in all things, let me resort to the internet for my answer.  Mind you, I am not endorsing any of these definitions, as the person spouting them may be a dolt, I am just using them as a reference point.

Here are three different definitions, based on three different conceptions of free will:

"Free will is the ability to do whatever we want independently of determining factors."

"Free will is the ability to make choices based on our desires with the physical possibility of having done otherwise."

"Free will is the ability to carry out what we want without being coerced or constrained to do something different.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Starise said:

Maybe I should but no, I don't really care what Stephen Hawking thinks (thought). Same as Einstein he got a few of his calculations wrong.

Free will as I see it is the ability to determine our own direction. Just look at the world around you. Much of the problem is that people are doing what they want to do. One person can impose their free will over another person if they have the power to do that. In that sense wills can clash. My boss could decide to fire me on the spot for no reason other than he wanted to do it. He made a decision I was forced to accept. That still would not change MY will that I wanted to keep working. 

Hmmmm, yes, I see, that seems to make sense.  I very much agree with your comment about the "clash of wills."

2 hours ago, Jesse Screed said:

yo dude!

As in all things, let me resort to the internet for my answer.  Mind you, I am not endorsing any of these definitions, as the person spouting them may be a dolt, I am just using them as a reference point.

Here are three different definitions, based on three different conceptions of free will:

"Free will is the ability to do whatever we want independently of determining factors."

"Free will is the ability to make choices based on our desires with the physical possibility of having done otherwise."

"Free will is the ability to carry out what we want without being coerced or constrained to do something different.

Alternative plot:

Although I would contend from LOTS of things I've read and proofs I've seen that everything is BOTH evolutionary AND creationist (though by whom is in question), even if things are evolutionary, it's obvious that nature tries paths that are not along the main line.  If the result is better, it gets incorporated (i.e., evolution heads in that direction), if not, it gets discarded.  Unfortunately, the entity heading off the beaten path may believe they are utilizing free will, but are they?  😁

4 hours ago, pwalpwal said:

red twizzlers pls k thx

I expected this, it is exactly the kind of narrow minded philistine lack of understanding I expect from an uninspired piece of trash like you. Sitting on your detestable pimple ridden buttocks, not caring about anything.

edit, just in case anyone is wondering, this is sarcasm.  I stole it from Monty Python

/s

Thanks to Monty Python for the insult.

Thanks to Strummer for the spacing idea.

I prefer Twizzlers myself, I guess we can be friends now.🤣

Edited by Jesse Screed
  • Like 1

Check out The Case Against Free Will by David Lieberman.

Also think of the brain as a computer, with inputs and processing. The inputs are your experience. The processing is either built in or based on your experience.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Jesse Screed said:

This is a serious question

which may lead to a war of words

but a war of words is better than a nucular war

I'm on the fence about freewill.

who made me do this, me?

don't be the proverbial fly on the toilet seat

I sat on the proverbial fly on the toilet seat. What does that mean. Have I started a chain reaction that will end us in nuclear war...

31 minutes ago, InstrEd said:

I sat on the proverbial fly on the toilet seat. What does that mean. Have I started a chain reaction that will end us in nuclear war...

More likely it resulted in you proverbially launching a torpedo/depth charger...

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Jesse Screed said:

Thanks to Strummer for the spacing idea.

My

pleasure

8 hours ago, Jesse Screed said:

What are the alternatives Todd?

You know the alternative.  

I already shared it, but the world is so full of hatred against Him, that He and His followers are censored.   So all the most important things in life are taboo to speak about.  People are willing to be stifled and censored and enslaved.  Anything, but God!  Anything!

If I write again at length my account will be suspended, I suspect.

Edited by Toddskins
  • Confused 1