Is freewill a hoax?

Jesse Screed

8 minutes ago, Jesse Screed said:

Hello Starise,

great to hear from you

I have so may great memories form all your posts and music contributions

but you haven't convinced me, and not that you should, or that I should expect you too

do you think there are bots on this forum?

Well thanks Jesse.  Much appreciated.

You mean you might have done that when you didn't want to? You will need your free will in order for me to convince you...because you see, you have to be willing to be convinced ;)

2 minutes ago, Starise said:

Well thanks Jesse.  Much appreciated.

You mean you might have done that when you didn't want to? You will need your free will in order for me to convince you...because you see, you have to be willing to be convinced ;)

Have you ever said anything you didn't mean to say?

Like," I love your cooking"

Do you get do overs?

2 hours ago, Jesse Screed said:

This is a serious question

which may lead to a war of words

but a war of words is better than a nucular war

I'm on the fence about freewill.

who made me do this, me?

don't be the proverbial fly on the toilet seat

Unbelievable!

simply unbelievable.

😁

That out of the way, I must admit that I'm see a LOT of attempts to channel people's thinking and reduce freewill.  I think I've proven that just saying an opinion (even if it's backed by a lot of sources and evidence) will still get some people triggered to jump down your throat.  I don't blame them, that's just how they are being programmed 24/7.  The last couple of generations have each gotten worse which makes sense if you understand that the time children are most like a sponge is before the age of 7.  During that time they absorb whatever they see and hear from their "authoritative" figures without any conscious filtering.  Unfortunately, a LOT of these authoritative figures are spewing what they've been programmed (parents, teachers, religious leaders, politicians, doctors, etc.).

As I've alluded to before, I see a huge shift in bias from family and community to power and greed.  It makes me sad and angry.  Businesses now consult with insurance companies when they have a potentially harmful product to see if the insurance settlements will be less than the cost to pull things and fix them.  Doctors get the vast majority of their knowledge about medicines from the pharmaceutical reps (and they DO get kick-backs for prescribing many of them).  Farmers overuse their land to try and grow and much as they can (plant nutrients are down well over 80% since the 1950's).  Airplanes get rushed into use even with fatal flaws (Hello Boeing!).  People will get up early and sit in traffic just to go downtown and join a protest where they ask for free stuff, but they won't do it for an actual job.  I see corners being cut everywhere as long as there's a profit to be made.  I could go on, but I don't want to get depressed.  I just hope that people WAKE THE F*** UP!!!  And soon.

Now, to offset all of that, here's some fun cute animals to make you smile:

Animals-chipmunk.jpgAnimals-koala%20hugs.jpgAnimals-squirrelfailp1.gifBunny-Cup-Bunnies.jpgCats-five-kittens.jpgDogs.jpg

Edited by craigb
  • Like 2

X3k5755.jpg

If that little critter had freewill it could decide to agree w the pony's actions or statements concerning the way the pony shows love and stay ...

Or the little critter could decide to find another form of  expression and communication VIA a different friend and companion that is more inline with its own bias's , beliefs and personal preferences ... 

The lesson here is  when life hands you a $hit sandwich the thing to do is to  take responsibility for the situation and always remember , somebody placed an order  for it . Even if it was only on a subconscious level .

Freewill can lead a person into a deeper pathway of learning where one can learn to evolve and learn from surviving ones own mistakes and  choices .

Once one takes responsibility for having found themselves in "a situation " one can choose another way ...

In other words when one points their index  finger at a situation ...the other four fingers are pointing back at oneself ...

What that means is one always has a part to play in each and every situation one finds oneself in ...no amount of denial will ever change that fact ...

As they say in  various 12 step programs ...Insanity is doing the same thing over and over while expecting different results ....

In any given moment one can choose from many different possible freewill scenarios ...

Becoming aware of the consequences and or the benefits one can contribute to the overall quality of ones own  life and  to the lives  of others  becomes a lesson in choosing the thoughts and actions that hopefully will fit the desired out come ...

on that level freewill is a sort of like a playground

Kenny

Edited by kennywtelejazz
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, Jesse Screed said:

This is a serious question

which may lead to a war of words

but a war of words is better than a nucular war

I'm on the fence about freewill.

who made me do this, me?

don't be the proverbial fly on the toilet seat

Nobody asked the obvious question, and you, Jesse, have remained silent about this:

Why do you ask?  What's motivating your question?  What are the alternatives?

Edited by Toddskins
  • Like 1

I think he got talked into buying some will online and paid a fortune for it only to find out that he could have had it for free...

My usual fun out of the way, I love thought puzzles like this.  There's an excellent book by a guy named David Gerrold called When HARLIE Was One which touches on this topic.  David also wrote the famous Star Trek episode "The Trouble With Tribbles" as well as the, er, well, most of the Chtorr series.  I say "most" because he never finished it!  LOL.

5 hours ago, Toddskins said:

Nobody asked the obvious question, and you, Jesse, have remained silent about this:

Why do you ask?  What's motivating your question?  What are the alternatives?

Well Todd,  I was choosing to go to my job rather than protest for my free stuff, that is why I seemed to be silent. 

Why do I ask?  Because sometimes I like to think about stuff like this, and I knew the CH was a great place to create some thought provoking conversation.  I don't know what the alternatives are, that is why I asked.  What are the alternatives Todd?

5 hours ago, craigb said:

My usual fun out of the way, I love thought puzzles like this.

1 hour ago, David Sprouse said:

Some are *freer* than others.  Arguments need to take into account the unconscious, some are more slaves than masters of that.

1 hour ago, pwalpwal said:

serious serious? what's the context?

Does anyone care what Stephen Hawking thinks?

“Do people have free will? If we have free will, where in the evolutionary tree did it develop? Do blue-green algae or bacteria have free will, or is their behavior automatic and within the realm of scientific law? Is it only multicelled organisms that have free will, or only mammals? We might think that a chimpanzee is exercising free will when it chooses to chomp on a banana, or a cat when it rips up your sofa, but what about the roundworm called Caenorhabditis elegans—a simple creature made of only 959 cells? It probably never thinks, “That was damn tasty bacteria I got to dine on back there,” yet it too has a definite preference in food and will either settle for an unattractive meal or go foraging for something better, depending on recent experience. Is that the exercise of free will?
Though we feel that we can choose what we do, our understanding of the molecular basis of biology shows that biological processes are governed by the laws of physics and chemistry and therefore are as determined as the orbits of the planets. Recent experiments in neuroscience support the view that it is our physical brain, following the known laws of science, that determines our actions, and not some agency that exists outside those laws. For example, a study of patients undergoing awake brain surgery found that by electrically stimulating the appropriate regions of the brain, one could create in the patient the desire to move the hand, arm, or foot, or to move the lips and talk. It is hard to imagine how free will can operate if our behavior is determined by physical law, so it seems that we are no more than biological machines and that free will is just an illusion.”

Which thought on the matter makes you a more valid life form?  Yes I do have freewill, or no I don't have freewill.