Need some feedback

Patrick Colton

Hi everybody,

I would really like some feedback regarding this mix.  I've been working on it for awhile. I put the song up on Facebook and I'm not really getting many likes so I'm really worried about the whole thing.  It's my version of Elvin Bishop's Fooled Around and Fell in Love.
Thanks for your help!
Tom.

Edited by Patrick Colton
  • Like 1

far as I can tell, the guitar work is good

the vocals are a little forced, I think maybe you could rerecord and lay it back a bit, it seems like you are trying to sing over it all,

the drums seem to be in a different tempo in places

it sounds live

like nobody was listening to anyone else

but you do have a great foundation

and sure do love all the elements

you'll work it out

Thanks for the advice Jesse.  Everything was recorded by me one track at a time. Maybe I should check the line-up again and try to make it flow better. This particular song has a petty intense lead vocal. I was trying to capture that but maybe should lay back.

Thanks!

Are you sure this is the right key for the vocal, Jesse mentioned it sounds a little "forced"; I don't think D is the right key for you.
I am right, its in D? I listened, pulled the cans, picked up the guitar, didn't play along.
whatever, I'd try at least a half step...

t

Sounds like you're trying to do a "bluesier" remake. Is so, here are my thoughts:

• Guitar sounds thin. I would certainly beef it up and double track it, one track to each side.
  • Organ isn't dirty enough
  • Bass needs more definition. it's way too mush sounding and doesn't carry the beat well enough.
  • Bring the kick up and make it bigger.

I honestly don't think the vocals are bad, just needs more support from the "band".

Dan

• Like 1

Thanks everybody. Yes, I did drop it to the key of D. I feel comfortable with it but maybe I can lay back just  bit and try to sing with the music instead of over the music. Yes the drums are midi. I used EasyDrummer 3 but I had problems because I had trouble with the time signature.  I had to quantize the drum pieces in triplets within the 4/4 time signature.  Maybe one of you guys can help me with that.  I'll also try panning guitars right/left and see how it sounds.  And bass tracks have always been as problem for me, I'll see what I can do with that.

Thanks Again!

Hello Patrick,  my ears are still struggling with the timing, and I can't quite figure out what it is. I keep wanting to get into the groove but I just can't find what to latch on to.  Maybe some splits and some nudges are in order, or some laborious transient positioning.

The elements are there. You have the skills, that's for sure.  It is fun to listen to the progression of work you are putting into this.

• Like 1

On 3/12/2020 at 11:44 AM, Patrick Colton said:

put the song up on Facebook and I'm not really getting many likes

Let's be honest here Pat, this charted at #3 back in the day, and evidently the Guardians sound track went #1?
This is a big tune! And Mickey Thomas, not Elvin (wisely), tore it up with the vocal!
Total honesty here, not a personal attack, but why am I not surprised? (facebook response) This is not a "straight" cover.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but you're going for a kind of Hendrixy guitar, on what was a keys driven pop tune.
You're gonna have to "massage" this backing track, and then if I'm behind the glass, don't "force" the vocal.
I'd try it laid back, almost conversational. But that's just me...

13 hours ago, Patrick Colton said:

Maybe different

Again, honestly? not so much.

Don't take any of this personal, I have a looong history of taking on big vocals, and more guitar
(your guitar work is fine, so this comment is sole about me and not you!) than I can handle.
Baby, I've walked this "trail of tears", I got the scars to prove it!

Hi Patrick.  Don't give up!  The re-worked version is better.  The guitar work is great  and over all it sounds good, but I agree it just needs some tweaking.  From my perspective, I am guessing that  it might be (in part) the drums that could be influencing the timing. The bass pedal some times gets a bit out of sync with the overall tempo of the song or so it seem to me.  A trick that I read about concerning vocals, is to mute some of the instrumental tracks and just keep the basic drum beat and the minimal number of instruments to keep the rhythm of the song going.  Then record the vocal(s) to that --- keeping in mind how you want the vocal to sound and matching the vocal melody to the rhythm.

Hope that helps.  You're almost there and I would love to hear the finish.

Here's a peace offering, I've got a track for you!

fooled_around.cwp

right click and "Save Link As"

Long story, I have a plethora of midi tracks, some I've done, some I've bought, and many I
"harvested" years ago. Somewhere I had found a program that scrounged the net for .mid files.

Here's a sample of the track Fooled Around

PM if you have any issues or need some help!

t