SampleTank 4 CS

cclarry

On 3/14/2020 at 8:56 AM, rcklln said:

Install went ok for me and I like what I am hearing. I am new to SampleTank and didn't have any other versions installed. When I rebuild my system I am going to also install ST3 Free to go with it.

I have been using ST since ST2. Have always liked the sounds that I have got from it. With ST 3, they really made a leap in UI and sound. I still use ST3 on my Surface (takes less space!). I pretty much don't use anything else anymore as far as a sampler. I don't own Kontakt. Not even the free version. ST4 does what I need very well.

• Like 3

There isn't a difference in ST4 MAX and ST 4 SE as far as program is concerned.  ST4 CS seems to simply be ST 4 .10. No difference.

The only difference is in the libraries and maybe some of the plugins that look to be TRacks carry overs.  I don't recall seeing not purchased libraries before either. Thankfully you can hide that.

If you don't mind I might show some screen shots later on to show the file structure. It seems confusing  to me. I had ST3 SE and ST 4 SE. It appears that MAX has a bunch of ST 3 sounds in it. ST 4CS has additional libraries. It seems to me that the MAX version should be most of the sounds and I shouldn't need anything but the ST CS libs or any other recent additions. No reason to have any overlap or double coverage for sounds since that simply wastes disk space. It does not appear that the explorer/metadata functions weed out possibly double sounds.

7 minutes ago, Grem said:

I am installing all my IK stuff on my new build. I have Total Studio MAX, which includes SampleTank 4 MAX. I also have Total Studio with ST 2, Miroslav and all the other synths.  I also have ST 3 and want to have all the sound available in ST4MAX. 

What would be the best way to install this? Does anyone know?

Because I have ST4MAX, does that mean I don't need to install all the previous versions of ST?

I believe ST4 Max also includes the ST3 libraries. But you don't need to download and install the ST3 stuff again if you already have ST3 installed. Just point ST4 to that path and you are good to go. No import required in that case. I still have ST3 and ST4 running side by side, but I only really need to open ST4 at this point to access everything!

If you have older IK libraries (pre ST3), you can import them into ST3, which will make them available to ST4 as part of your ST3 content.

• Like 2

I had a chance to play around with this, and I found a small bug in the sample presets. The Berlin Grand piano sets have a few samples that were clipping at the beginning, and certain samples in the sets have an uncharacteristically loud hiss that is more noticeable when the pedal is pressed down. I managed to fix the clipping by increasing the attack time to 13-15 ms, but not sure how to fix the hiss.

Edited by Freyja Grimaude-Valens

14 hours ago, Peter - IK Multimedia said:

For anybody confused about what version contains which sounds, we have complete lists (including from what previous product they originated, where appropriate) at https://www.ikmultimedia.com/products/st4cs/index.php?p=versions

The above link also has a version comparison available too.

Man... when I read this I thought it was going to include ST 2 & 3 in the comparison!!

BTW, that pdf is over 200 pages!! That's a lot of a sounds!

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Grem said:

Man... when I read this I thought it was going to include ST 2 & 3 in the comparison!!

For Max it does... within each instrument category there is a section for 2 & 3. :D

Edited by abacab

16 hours ago, RSMcGuitar said:

So Sampletank 4 seems pretty nice.

Yes it is. I like the sounds that are available. But to be honest, it was all down to the cost. I got in on ST2 due to Larry posting here about Total Studio back in the day. I upgraded to ST 3 (which I liked the UI much better than ST 2) then to ST 4. I have really enjoyed and found the program useful and sounds really good.

And no, I don't have a problem reading the text in ST4. How is your contrast on your monitor set?

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
7 minutes ago, kitekrazy said:

BTW the ST Editor is disappointing.  You can't get past loading a picture and it has to me a certain criteria.  At least a default one would have been nice. 

You should be able to load a picture, have you reached out to other users on the SampleTank 4 Editor subforum on the IK Forum?  The manual should give the specs from what I recall but I don't have it in front of me right now.

We do have third parties creating full detailed libraries with the editor so it should be fully operational for all.

1026x1026 pixels.  It would be nice if the editor came with default ones.  But you cant go to the next step.  I has some soundfonts that I can convert to the 1st ST format but it doesn't appear ST3 or 4 can do that or the sample editor.

So please pass it on to add default images.