Ableton Live
Cubase
Studio One
Logic Pro
FL Studio
Samplitude
Tracktion
Reaper (with plugin)

I think it shouldn't be a hard thing to implement. It just buffers the MIDI Data with specified amount when you are not recording. When you call it, it pastes the data from the memory to the track. That's pretty much it.

Think that you are jamming with your keyboard. You catch a great piece. You continue to play. It was a great piece. But you were not recording. Then you try it by recording but you couldn't do the same thing again. This feature will prevent you to lost your performance when you didn't record.

Edited by murat k.
  • Like 3

• 10 months later...
  • 4 months later...
On 5/25/2021 at 2:59 AM, murat k. said:

DAW's with the Retrospective Recording Feature:

ProTools
Motu Digital Performer 
Ableton Live
Cubase
Studio One
Logic Pro
FL Studio
Samplitude
Tracktion
Reaper (with plugin)

Clearly those are built for folks who can't play the same thing twice over - We Cakewalkers must have superior muscle memory 😃 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Mark Morgon-Shaw said:

Clearly those are built for folks who can't play the same thing twice over - We Cakewalkers must have superior muscle memory 😃 

:) Muscle memory is for repeated actions. This is for a piece you play for the first time and you like it. It's like a beautiful girl you see on a bus once and never see her again.

• Like 1

• 4 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Come on Guys Its a Really cool and Must have Feature these days(or decades). CbB has to work on some simple things like Retrospective midi/audio and another things those bothering me (a user from pro audio 7 till now) Like bad and not updated Quantizing.  improve notation part. add FX track feature and many other Daw's cools features today.

We don't forget its first DAW with 64-bit support or its still can load 32-bit plugins and cool things like Drum replacer and Vocal sync and Pro channel and Freeze option which is still the best. and Comping that comes with X1 for Years ago. but anything has its own place. Users Need IMPROVEMENTs

Fire up Bandlab Team!

On 3/16/2020 at 4:23 PM, Mark Morgon-Shaw said:

I dunno..if I can play it once I can play it again ...it's not some one off performance I'll never be able to duplicate

This is for people who can't always do that.

Some people have creative states where their minds kind of wander. I'll sometimes be noodling around and come up with something that sounds cool but by the time I stop and arm the track and hit record, I can't remember it exactly. Sometimes I come up with things via slop, a finger hitting the wrong key but in so doing it turns the chord or melody into something more complex and interesting.

Sometimes my process is "hear it in my head, figure out what to make my fingers do, play it" but more often it's just letting my fingers kinda wander around on the keys until I happen upon something that sounds interesting, then I build from that.

As far as coming to a consensus on how it should work, I'll suggest that thanks to ProTools, Digital Performer, Ableton Live, Cubase, Studio One, Logic Pro, FL Studio, Samplitude and Waveform already having implemented it that part wouldn't be terribly difficult. It's only the developers who have to agree on it after all. The input of the user base, while valued I'm sure, is merely advisory and not binding. 😊