Capture recording - Best recording option ever

Sonarman

Not  sure how many are aware of the capture recording feature available in some daws like logic pro. I made this request long back in the old forum.To  me this is a feature that CbB must have. Use of this feature is enormous. This helps not only when you forgot to click the record button but also in enormous ways. Lot of times the best takes happens when you are simply trying out something with no conscience to record. This feature helps to capture those takes. Sometimes such precious takes are not recreateable. Magic happens spark happens and they deserve to be captured. Please implement this feature.

Just in case if someone has no idea what this feature is, here is a video demonstrating this.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qOB4dFpipOU

• Like 6

I watched the video.  While watching the video a number of questions came to my mind.  I hope you'll share your thoughts with me and clarify your suggestion.

It appears Logic Pro is capturing midi in the video, please correct me if I'm incorrect.  Does the feature capture audio when the input is audio?

Is the DAW going to record in the background every time the play button is hit and the feature is enabled?

Do you want the feature to be enabled and disabled with a transport button?

Aren't you afraid the feature will mess with storage access by recording while the user is in the process of setting up a sampler or another feature that requires storage access?

What's to remind you when the feature is enabled or disabled?

• Like 2

@Jim Fogle this feature only applies to midi. This feature is always on in logic by default. I don't think you can disable it. You can hide the capture record magic button though. But I am no expert in logic so I can't confirm it. Midi data is microscopic in size and the captured data is only stored temporarily.

Although this feature doesn't work for audio there seems to be a trick to capture audio. I am not sure if such a trick can be implemented in CbB. Someone please enlighten us. Here is an article that explains capturing audio http://logicprogem.com/Logic-Pro-X-Tutorials/Entries/2014/6/13_Capture_Recording__Logic_Pro_is_Always_Listening.html

Edited by Sonarman
Typo

17 hours ago, CosmicDolphin said:

I dunno..if I can play it once I can play it again ...it's not some one off performance I'll never be able to duplicate

That's generally true for me, too, but  there have been many times over the years that something I played while improvising a new piece or rehearsing a part (lead solo, melody, bass line, high-hat pattern, whatever...) just worked perfectly, and I wished I had been recording because I couldn't reproduce it exactly. 

I've mostly learned to just go ahead and hit 'R' when there's a chance some magic might happen, but I still miss things occasionally.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, David Baay said:

That's generally true for me, too, but  there have been many times over the years that something I played while improvising a new piece or rehearsing a part (lead solo, melody, bass line, high-hat pattern, whatever...) just worked perfectly, and I wished I had been recording because I couldn't reproduce it exactly. 

I've mostly learned to just go ahead and hit 'R' when there's a chance some magic might happen, but I still miss things occasionally.

Yea, there have been times I hit a few wrong notes or in the verge of messing up the timing but it ends up sounding soo good. I try to recreate them and eventually get closer to that but its never the same. Also this feature can be really helpful while working with a producer. If you forgot to hit the record button on some good takes the next few minutes will be really awkward. They might be even fantasizing on choking you 😰

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Kevin Perry said:

Does not CbB already support this for MIDI (Preferences\MIDI - Playback and Recording) - Allow MIDI Recording without an Armed Track?

You still have to press record though right ?  

I think they mean without even hitting record, like just auditioning/practising a new part

Yes, that's just a different feature @Kevin Please watch the video link in the opening post to know more of the capture record feature. This link will also help http://logicprogem.com/Logic-Pro-X-Tutorials/Entries/2014/6/13_Capture_Recording__Logic_Pro_is_Always_Listening.html and I agree with one thing mentioned in this article. You don’t have to use the Capture Recording Button only as a safety net. I use it almost exclusively for any MIDI recording. You just play along with your song as it develops and every time you perform a good pass, you hit the Capture Recording Button and your performance is right there as a new MIDI Region.

22 hours ago, CosmicDolphin said:

You still have to press record though right ?  

I think they mean without even hitting record, like just auditioning/practising a new part

Yeah, you do - it was from memory and I hadn't tested it for years!

the answer is YES  ,to the original post ,it's GREAT, ,,I no cos it turned up in Ableton about 6 months ago ,as long as you 

are monitoring & armed it CAPTURES , I done more piano takes than ever. I thought they would turn out to be to

scrappy ,but no, just as mentioned above , always drifting off on start-up and CAPTURE seriously makes me giggle every time.

With that in mind might someone now understand my RE-SPLICE COMPTED TAKES so if you turn on and jam to a short loopy 

or drum track, ,,if captured then you need to re splice it,, its a bit different in Ableton  tho not so rok-en-roll ,,Jon 

plus I have already been wondering if Able. could add AUDIO capture,, I think it'll happen

May be have to deel with the possible large file immediately  or somethinkkkk  anyway it

works I guess for certain approaches,, I was thinking of a topic about that

WHEN YOU START WHAT IS YOUR APPROACH TO RECORDING (rock -roll) of coarse 

I sure we could all learn some supprising track-construction routs off each other,,,Jon,

Edited by Jonathon Barton
add some info

On 3/16/2020 at 11:23 PM, Mark Morgon-Shaw said:

I dunno..if I can play it once I can play it again ...it's not some one off performance I'll never be able to duplicate

I'm learning some of my CAPTURES by listening to them and developing them , things like this link me to the feature request for 

improved STAFF view  [notation and chord box's] that's the only way to learn from the original CAPTURE later on [and by ear] and the lyric line.

in fact, thats why I bought  Homestudio to re learn STAFF reading to help unravel my own midi recordings  ,Jon,,

Can anyone explain why cakewalk is still free.  I was just exploring other DAWS, and only a few has the full function as cakewalk.  What Pro-tool, fruity loop etc. offers for free is not enough for me to settle with them at this stage of the game for me.  I need a full loaded DAW as cakewalk to do a hold song/album.  If I was to invest in another DAW, and expect the same amount of functionality as Cakewalk, I would have to spend at least $600 dollar.  The only thing that I would improve, which is minute, is the sound quality via the pro-channel, for its module.  I only use third party plugins, anyway.  I just need a DAW to edit, mix, master etc., which cakewalk does.  

• 3 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...