NVIDIA GPU

Mesh

My 7 year old AMD GPU has been slowly dying out  and I bought a NVIDIA GPU (MSI GeForce 1650 Ventus). I thought swapping them would be a simple procedure and would work easily once the drivers are updated, but not so. I've been continuously getting intermittent black screens and apparently this seems to be common thing with the NVIDIA  GPU's (although everyone seems to have different fixes that worked for them). I had it working for a day (after 3 days of working on this) and now it's just a black screen and my monitor just shows 'no signal from HDMI'. Tried plugging it into DVI as well as the onboard graphics....no luck.

At first I thought the card might be bad, but then we did watch Netflix the other night (not a smooth experience, but the card still worked).   

These are the initial steps I took to install this GPU:

1) use DDU app to remove the AMD drivers from registry

2) installed the latest drivers from GeForce.com

3) installed/updated Intel HD Graphics (using Intel's update wizard) just incase I had to use the onboard graphics

Last night I got the black screen again just surfing the web and still hasn't changed. Tried moving the HDMI cable to different ports, multiple reboots, tried a different monitor, and when this black screen happens, I can't get into BIOS.

I've been searching web for solutions, but seems like a popular thing with NVIDIA and there's not any specific solution. Is this a common thing with everyone using NVIDIA?

Since I built this PC back in 2013, I've been using the AMD card without any problems whatsoever....it just worked seamlessly from day 1. I hate to give up the fight in fixing this as I'd like to find the solution, but it's now going on day 4 and I miss using my DAW.

Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

Same experience here, though not near the computer to verify the NVIDIA card or driver version.  Older Intel quad core Dell Vostro.  First time it went down, was after a driver update via Iobit Drive Booster.  Second time was with a MS update that installed the latest driver.  Fix was to search the net for older versions of the driver and found one that restored the display. Second time was able to roll back to the working driver.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, craigb said:

1)  It's a SEVEN year-old card Mesh!  The IT world works in dog years, so that's one pretty ancient card.

2)  Check your air-flow and how clean things are.  Cards that get over-heated do weird things.

Looks like you're talking about the card I replaced (that's 7 years old)….

My new card MSI GeForce 1650 Ventus was released somewhere in November 2019 (I think).

Just now, Mesh said:

Looks like you're talking about the card I replaced (that's 7 years old)….

My new card MSI GeForce 1650 Ventus was released somewhere in November 2019 (I think).

Guilty!  Sorry, I sure read that too quickly...

Can you still take it back?

1 minute ago, craigb said:

Guilty!  Sorry, I sure read that too quickly...

Can you still take it back?

Yeah, I got it from Amazon about 10 days ago. I really want to find a fix for this, but if not......may have to RMA it and get an AMD card. It really shouldn't be this hard to swap a gpu (especially when I don't have a lot going on in my system...nothing else in the other PCIe slots or any complex setups etc.. 

I hate to suggest this (since I used to be an Amazon FBA seller and hated this behavior - lol!), but get the other card first, then return the one that doesn't work.

If BOTH fail, then you might have accidentally damaged the PCI-E slot during the swap (if you have more than one PCI-E slot and the room, have you tried moving the card?).

3 minutes ago, craigb said:

I hate to suggest this (since I used to be an Amazon FBA seller and hated this behavior - lol!), but get the other card first, then return the one that doesn't work.

If BOTH fail, then you might have accidentally damaged the PCI-E slot during the swap (if you have more than one PCI-E slot and the room, have you tried moving the card?).

I don't think the slot is damaged as I was able to use the older AMD card in the same slot AND this one also works in the same slot....just with intermittent black screens (sometimes it works for awhile and then other times continuous black screen). The hard part is to figure out what's actually causing the black screen. 

I do have 3 other PCIe slots available.....I'll try seating it in one of those and see if that works. Also will pick up a new cable tonight before I get home.

36 minutes ago, Mesh said:

I don't think the slot is damaged as I was able to use the older AMD card in the same slot AND this one also works in the same slot....just with intermittent black screens (sometimes it works for awhile and then other times continuous black screen). The hard part is to figure out what's actually causing the black screen. 

I do have 3 other PCIe slots available.....I'll try seating it in one of those and see if that works. Also will pick up a new cable tonight before I get home.

Hey Mesh sorry to hear of your GPU woes 😣 

I have had a few different GPUs in my current PC and have gone from NVidia to AMD then back to Nvidia in recent years. The move from AMD was due to driver instability and I must say that I have found the NVidia cards to be reliable (maybe I was lucky).  Your upgrade process looks OK to me although I didn't use DDU or update my onboard HD graphics drivers;  just uninstalled old drivers and re-installed new ones.  So I would go with Jim's suggestion. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, pwalpwal said:

cable?

This ^^^ was the problem. Got a new HDMI 2.0 cable,  plugged it in,  and we have contact.....yaaaay!!

Thanks Pwal and everyone that chimed in, now I can go back to making music. :)

• Like 1

Well, in my humble defense, I only had 2 older HDMI cables and I tried both. Looks like the newer card needed a newer cable for it to work.

Glad it worked though....so nice to have my DAW back.  :)

• Like 1

I am having a similar problem buying some HDMI cables for my GH4, one to run to an atomos recorder and one to run to the TV. I researched it a bit then ordered a couple, can't even remember which ones I ordered now but I will soon find out. It appears all HDMI cables are not the same.

https://au.pcmag.com/tvs-home-theater/60751/slaying-the-cable-monster-what-you-need-to-know-about-hdmi-cables

On 3/12/2020 at 9:13 PM, Mesh said:

This ^^^ was the problem. Got a new HDMI 2.0 cable,  plugged it in,  and we have contact.....yaaaay!!

Thanks Pwal and everyone that chimed in, now I can go back to making music. :)

Glad you got it working. Had a similar issue with a hard drive install the other day. The SATA cable was bad. The other thing was the computer needed a reboot for the MOBO to see the new populated SATA port.

• Like 1