[BUG] Freezing archived track crashes Cakewalk?

Cristiano Sadun

On my installation trying to freeze archived tracks simply closes the DAW, with no warning (and of course no saving of the project).

It's happened a few times in busy recording sessions: the two buttons are so close so that it's easy to get  the mouse a little wrong, and push "freeze" when you want to de-archive a track.  🙂 The result of course is disaster as anything after the last save is lost.

To test:

• create a new empty project
  •  insert an audio track
  •  archive it with A
  • push the freeze button on the side

Bam! No more Cakewalk.

Anyone else experiencing the same?

I've come to realized this only happens when there's 32bit version vst's or plugins used in a project. I also ran into this problem, especially with some 3rd party mono plugins. Dropped my sample rate from 96khz to 48khz, voila - tracks freeze'd again. I think this is different with every machine/OS?

I don't know.  Is this possible?

The issue in this thread is related to Archived tracks and affects 64-bit plugins as well. If you have some issue with freezing 32-bit plugins at high sample rates in tracks that aren't archived, that's a different issue. In any case, freezing is an offline process that does not is mostly unaffected by your DAW's hardware environment  - other than how fast the process completes. In a give situation, it will either succeed or fail the same way on any machine with the same Cakewalk preferences and project configuration.

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Cristiano Sadun said:

Apologies for not getting back but got distracted by the whole pandemic thing here in Europe last month and totally forgot about this thread.

Thanks for the replies and good that it's being fixed!

Give the latest EA a try - it should be fixed in that version:

PS - there's a rollback facility for this version, so you can rollback to the current release if you get any issues.

• Like 1