Apparently, it's gone...

craigb

There is a 100% chance that we will all be dead within the next 100 years. There's at least a 50% chance that someone will disagree with that. There'a a 100% chance I will pay it no mind.

A smidgen of whiskey can knock the heck out out of the common cold. I'm occasionally self medicating in small amounts. Can't hurt.

Edited by Starise
  • Great Idea 1

F***ing lowlifes!!!

I just received a tech. alert email that ransomware attacks on hospitals has increased dramatically as [those that need to be tortured and dismembered] are taking advantage of the virus!  Unbelievable! 🤬

As far as I'm concerned, that makes them all guilty of murder (or, at least, attempted murder) and they should be hunted down in the same fashion...

Edited by craigb

23 hours ago, craigb said:

Well, as Stalin said, "One death is a tragedy, a million deaths is a statistic."

All I know is that, if I'm five times more likely to die from a snake, AND I was one to freak out and had to be ultra-prepared, I would be doing my best to have anti-venom on-hand and avoiding any place where there's the slightest chance of a snake being.  When you're dealing with something that has a worldwide survival rate of 97.2% (practically 100% if you're young and/or healthy), then I have FAR more important things to worry about.

Yes, SO FAR, less than 6,700 people have died (who knows how many would have died from other reasons within a few months - most were elderly and already sick), but that's since November.  This is only about 700 more than those who have committed suicide over the last two days!  I'm pretty sure an alarming percentage of those were teenagers who have given up hope.  As far as I'm concerned, THAT is a much bigger issue that people should be trying to fix!

I am not sure what point you are going for here. Stalin's statement is fitting for someone who was in a position to create such statistics for his people, but hopefully most of us are interested in avoiding multiple tragedies.

I think the analogy of the snakebites is that you are suggesting an alternative to the general social distancing recommendations, which inconvenience everyone but benefit just a few. Rather than have everyone avoid activities that risk spread, why not just have the old and feeble hide themselves away from the young and healthy, who can then spread it among themselves without adverse consequences.  In fact special recommendations for those at known high risk of serious disease are being made at every level in the public health community, and it is certainly advantageous to avoid infection if it is likely to kill you, even though such a regimen would have little effect on limiting the spread of the virus among the un-worried population. So that extra level of precaution speaks more to the motivation of the participant than to the overall effect on the pandemic. You may be underestimating the number of those at increased risk, however. Over 100 million US adults would be in the groups known to have higher fatality.  https://www.kff.org/global-health-policy/issue-brief/how-many-adults-are-at-risk-of-serious-illness-if-infected-with-coronavirus/  

As for your often repeated contention that this pandemic is not an existential threat to the human species, I completely concur. We are not all going to die, nor are the number of deaths we can reasonably expect going to reduce our world population so much that modern technology cannot be sustained. So what? Are we not better off doing what we can to avoid infecting the vulnerable--even those of us who think ourselves invincible? The argument that one death or one million does not destroy civilization or humanity can hardly be used to justify not doing what we can to avoid preventable deaths. Nor does the argument that there are, or have in the past, been other causes of tragedy excuse us from an obligation to mitigate this cause.

The implication that we do not know "how many would have died from other reasons within a few months" is that we should welcome or support the culling of our sick and elderly. That is an argument that we could have expected from Stalin. It misses the point that many of the deaths will shorten lives by  years. Even if you believe setting the old and sick folks adrift on an ice flow is  preferable to changing your own behavior, the same argument would be applicable in the event you or someone you care about arrives in an overcrowded emergency room following a trauma or suicide attempt to find that all the ventilators are in use by patients who have a better chance of successful treatment.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, CoveCamper said:

One man's smidgen is another man's fifth!

(I would tell you how many smidgen's are in a fifth but I can not remember)

For me a smidgen is a little more than not enough and not enough to be too much. * ducks and runs away fast*

Edited by Starise

It must have been all the green I did on  ST Paddy's Day  because when I went to sleep I thought my pecker  was    this big .

preview.jpg?auto=compress,format&q=80&fi

When I woke up this morning all groggy  and kenfusied I noticed my manhood and treasure  was really  only this big ...

download (1).jpg

Apparently, it's gone...🥴

Kenny

Edited by kennywtelejazz
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, kennywtelejazz said:

It must have been all the green I did on  ST Paddy's Day  because when I went to sleep I thought my pecker  was    this big .

preview.jpg?auto=compress,format&q=80&fi

When I woke up this morning all groggy  and kenfusied I noticed my manhood and treasure  was really  only this big ...

download (1).jpg

Apparently, it's gone...🥴

Kenny

This happens to me all the time, but don't worry he is just hiding ( from all the shame you brought on him ). A couple of more smidgens and he will be back.

Edited by CoveCamper
  • Haha 1