Invisible - latest experiment - latest mix 3/16/20

Lynn Wilson

A couple of weeks ago, I picked up an OVox voice synthesizer from Waves and began experimenting with it.  I came up with this song using its vocorder for the main pad and lead vocal.  The sax sample is from Dimension Pro using my guitar played through MidiGuitar 2.  The song was a lot of fun to create, but I need some extra ears on this, as I'm not entirely neutral about this, yet.  As always, thanks in advance for your help and suggestions.  Here is the link: https://www.soundclick.com/music/songInfo.cfm?songID=14005443

remixed on 3/16/20

Edited by Lynn
  • Like 1

HI Lynn.
Like the groove on the song.
We all paint different pictures...  but I would prefer your voice normally and a little more upfront.
to me it sounds like a vocal tuner gone wrong  🙂

Maybe just use it on backing and harmonies?

• Like 1

20 hours ago, DeeringAmps said:

Wow, I think this one is as strong as any on your page! Looks like I can d/l it so I'll take it out to the studio
before I dig into a critical analysis, but as a "listener", well as I said "strong as any on your page"...

t

Thank you, Tom.  It's always good to start with a decent song!

19 hours ago, garybrun said:

HI Lynn.
Like the groove on the song.
We all paint different pictures...  but I would prefer your voice normally and a little more upfront.
to me it sounds like a vocal tuner gone wrong  🙂

Maybe just use it on backing and harmonies?

Hi Gary, thanks for your reply.  It does song like a tuner gone wrong (typical vocorder) :)  The vocal should come up a bit!

18 hours ago, mark skinner said:

Very cool vibe. It's a lot of fun playing with new stuff. I think main chorus hook was awsome. I found the low end a little overpowering. Couldn't turn it up much . I really liked this song and thought it sounded very progressive.    mark

Mark, thanks for responding!  The low end does need to come down a little, thanks for pointing this out.

6 hours ago, Douglas Kirby said:

I enjoyed the listen - cool song.  Your vocal reminded me of Peter Gabriel. That Waves plug sounded cool on your vocal.

Regarding the mix - I think I agree with mark skinner - the low end - I guess the bass - is a bit too prominent.

I liked the song - nice job.

Douglas, it's good to hear from you.  Thanks for your kind words and advice.  I agree with you and Mark about the bottom end.  I lack experience using synth bass, but I'll keep working on it.

Hey Lynn!

So you got a new toy! Track sounds pretty good, but I would consider dropping the ovox except in places where you want to emphasize a phrase. Like any effect, it can become tiresome after a bit, and you have a darn good voice, so why brutalize it?

Love ya man! Glad to see you posting!

Dan

• Like 2

Lynn
Love the sound of your songs - all the components that go into them add up nicely.
I'm totally impressed with the sax played by your guitar!
Seems like the voc was too low in the mix here so didn't get the full effect of the
vocoder fx.
Thumbs up on the song. Enjoyed it!

• Like 1

On 3/12/2020 at 5:46 PM, Jesse Screed said:

you have been invisible

welcome back

awesome step out from your norm

work on the mix, you don't need my advice

but I applaud your foray

Jesse, thanks for the encouraging words!  It's time to step out from the norm...

On 3/13/2020 at 2:49 AM, Bajan Blue said:

Lynn

Like this and I actually like the vocal - it sounds cool and does remind me of Peter Gabriel

Nigel

Nigel, it's always a good day when I'm compared to PG!  Thanks a million.

Hey pal, great to see you back posting on the forum.  WOW, this is absoflippinlutely brilliant.  I wouldn't change a thing about it.  That sax/guitar work was terrific.  The arrangement, instrumentation and mix sound great to me.  Oh ya, your vocals were most cool.  I have been getting a lot of adds from WAVE concerning the OVox.  I might have to look into it.  Every once in a while, we all have to take a trip into a new area --- especially if we might be uncomfortable in it.  Well your trip in experimenting with new stuff was a complete success.  Well done!!!

• Like 2

On 3/13/2020 at 6:39 AM, Boomin36Beatz said:

Sounds really Great. Much Respect

B36B, thanks for your time and kind words.

On 3/13/2020 at 10:02 AM, dcumpian said:

Hey Lynn!

So you got a new toy! Track sounds pretty good, but I would consider dropping the ovox except in places where you want to emphasize a phrase. Like any effect, it can become tiresome after a bit, and you have a darn good voice, so why brutalize it?

Love ya man! Glad to see you posting!

Dan

Dan, thanks for listening to this and responding.  Yeah, I'm kind of a sucker for sound toys like this.  My inspiration is the songs from Pink Floyd's "A Momentary Lapse Of Reason" with the vocorder (New Machine Pt. 1 & 2).  In the future, I'll be more discreet with this toy, unless I'm not.  lol

• Like 1

I thought I responded to this already, but, cool tune! Yes for me I agree that synthbass is pretty durn thick loud and gooey, and it sucks up the energy that should be going to the upper range, like I bet the vocals pop if you drop the synthbass 1.5db or more, across the board.

I like your voice and the tricks sounded fun, so I'll check back if you tame the monster in the basement!!!

cheers,

-Tom

On 3/15/2020 at 1:21 PM, emeraldsoul said:

I thought I responded to this already, but, cool tune! Yes for me I agree that synthbass is pretty durn thick loud and gooey, and it sucks up the energy that should be going to the upper range, like I bet the vocals pop if you drop the synthbass 1.5db or more, across the board.

I like your voice and the tricks sounded fun, so I'll check back if you tame the monster in the basement!!!

cheers,

-Tom

Tom, I just reposted this with your (and others) suggestion in mind, and I like it better.  Hopefully, this will help.  Thanks, pal!

On 3/13/2020 at 11:44 PM, bjornpdx said:

Lynn
Love the sound of your songs - all the components that go into them add up nicely.
I'm totally impressed with the sax played by your guitar!
Seems like the voc was too low in the mix here so didn't get the full effect of the
vocoder fx.
Thumbs up on the song. Enjoyed it!

Bjorn, thanks for you kind words and advice.  I took your suggestion for the remix.  Stay tuned.

the bass is in much better shape now! With the extra energy that gives the track, it seems to have maybe left room for the hihat groove to be a little up front and pokey in the mix. That's just a matter of taste and yours may vary. Have you given it a loud listen? It's no problem at lower volumes.

Lyrics are great, it has an excellent pulse to it, and the vocals are a trip.

• Like 1

Hi Lynn.
Like this track.. and its groove.
Can hear the differences to the previous mix.

Is something ducking the vocals?
On my system I find it hard to hear what you are singing ... are you shy of your voice??  🙂
More upfront please  (my taste)
Would love to hear the track without so much vocoder as you have a great voice.  (my preference again)