Waves Virtual Instrument Sale

cclarry

3 hours ago, Finnbogi Ragnar Ragnarsson said:

You can tie it to a USB key though, similar to Ilok.

That's the best workaround. Otherwise, Waves seem to lock  your licenses to one of your network adapters hardware ID.

I found out the hard way once when I removed one of my adapters, then had to recover all of my licenses.

2 hours ago, abacab said:

That's the best workaround. Otherwise, Waves seem to lock  your licenses to one of your network adapters hardware ID.

I found out the hard way once when I removed one of my adapters, then had to recover all of my licenses.

Same thing can even happen with virtual interfaces, like virtual box adapters 

2 hours ago, Joakim said:

Same thing can even happen with virtual interfaces, like virtual box adapters 

Yes ,that's exactly what happened to me! I had a virtual network loopback adapter installed for a network packet capture tool that was deprecated (WinPcap), so I uninstalled it. Little did I know that Waves was using THAT adapter for licensing... duh...

22 hours ago, kitekrazy said:

That's worse.   Most of my iLok synths allow for 2 installs. 

Waves doesn't.
I put it on an USB because their implementation for a network card lock doesn't work if you have a Hyper-V virtual machine installed. In the end, I prefer it that way. But I hate the guts of Ilok, had a motherboard failure 2 months ago. Licenses tied to the motherboard. Slow and painful process getting the licenses back.

1 hour ago, Finnbogi Ragnar Ragnarsson said:

Waves doesn't.
I put it on an USB because their implementation for a network card lock doesn't work if you have a Hyper-V virtual machine installed. In the end, I prefer it that way. But I hate the guts of Ilok, had a motherboard failure 2 months ago. Licenses tied to the motherboard. Slow and painful process getting the licenses back.

Waves licensing still sucks.   A do it your own dongle isn't a plus in my world.