SSD 5

cclarry

6 minutes ago, Carlos said:

But yeah, there is better overall stuff out there. Even ezdrummer 2 is better lol (or ad2)

^^^this...

SD5 was a HUGE disappointment...but nowhere near the disappointment that
Ocean Way Drums is!  That was one EXPENSIVE waste of money!

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Carlos said:

But yeah, there is better overall stuff out there. Even ezdrummer 2 is better lol (or ad2)

16 minutes ago, cclarry said:

^^^this...

SD5 was a HUGE disappointment...but nowhere near the disappointment that
Ocean Way Drums is!  That was one EXPENSIVE waste of money!

Ouch! I's gonna ask whether it's worth to invest into SSD5.

I've heard people say good things about SSD, particularly that these drum libraries sit well in the mix and don't require tweaking (well, almost).

6 minutes ago, Soundwise said:

I've heard people say good things about SSD, particularly that these drum libraries sit well in the mix and don't require tweaking (well, almost).

The Drum sounds themselves aren't bad...

The libraries are good and are often on sale but the software is rarely if ever updated.  Version 5 wasn’t much different than 4. There hasn’t been anything new (expansions) released for it since it was launched. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Soundwise said:

The UX is a disaster. Yes, I'm aware of this. Other than that, do you think SSD can compete with Toontrack Drummers?

No....I don't even put this in the same ballpark as EZDrummer...let alone SD3...
great sounds with a crap product are still a crap product IMO

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Soundwise said:

While I like how it sounds for me deal breaker was incompatibility with their own product - slate trigger.

If you buy extension of a given producer for SDD5 you still need to buy extension for the same guy for Trigger...

This is what I love in AD2. When you own an extension for AD2 you also can use it in Addictive Trigger. No additional buy needed.

I dropped an email to SSD about it but they kindly thanked me. So it seems they believe in their path...

Well, I am out for sure for double buy... Their choice. I would buy it otherwise when there was a nice promo some time ago...

• Like 3

I've used SSD5 for the last couple of years and I don't mind it. I'm comfortable with the interface. The thing for me is there's a bug in the MIDI grooves browser where you drag a file from the browser to Reaper and it shows "Offline." The workaround is to drag the MIDI file from Windows Explorer into Reaper directly. But that defies the point of a groove browser.

Anyway, long story short, Slate has been promising an update coming "soon" to fix this issue for a year or two, and it's still nowhere to be seen. For me, I had enough and moved to Superior Drummer 3 and never looked back. It is better in just about every way and I could tell the difference in the mixes straight away after replacing the Slate drums with SD3.

• Like 2
  • Great Idea 1