What VST2 plugins work better than their VST3 counter parts?

TheSteven

I've just got a couple of new machines to set up and in each instance I'm installing the VST2 and not VST3 versions of each plugin where I can. It's annoying when like RTAS and AAX get installed without me being able to deselect them but such is life.

So far I haven't noticed any issues or deficiencies in my workflow using VST2 only.

• Like 1

The VST2 versions of Fabfilter plugins don't support custom resizing like the VST3 versions.  In the VST2 version you can select a pre-defined size, but there is no resizer.  In fact I'd say most of my VST2 vs VST3 issues boil down to two things:  MIDI and GUI resizing.

VST3 has really bad MIDI support.  So a lot of the things plugin developers do with MIDI are much harder (though not really impossible).  So things like MIDI generator plugins almost always the VST2 version is better.

VST2 resizing the plugin GUI requires the developer jump through a bunch of hoops.  VST3 has some sort of support for that, so there are often big differences between plugins in how the VST3 version will let you resize and the VST2 won't.

The only plugin I swear by the VST2 version though is Sampletank 3.  Sampletank's VST3 implmentation is at best buggy.  Sampletank 4 has gotten better but I still don't trust it.  IK Multimedia and VST3 don't mix.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Matthew Sorrels said:

VST3 has really bad MIDI support.  So a lot of the things plugin developers do with MIDI are much harder (though not really impossible).

u-he mentions this in their faq:

22 hours ago, pwalpwal said:

VST3 does not use raw MIDI data. In order to receive MIDI control changes (CC), the plug-in needs to report hundreds of special parameters to the host, one for each CC per MIDI channel.

11 hours ago, Matthew Sorrels said:

The only plugin I swear by the VST2 version though is Sampletank 3.  Sampletank's VST3 implmentation is at best buggy.  Sampletank 4 has gotten better but I still don't trust it.  IK Multimedia and VST3 don't mix.

I always install both VST2 and VST3 versions if both are available to be installed, I will always use the VST3 version (again, if one is available). This includes for all of IK's products, personally never had an issue, I know people here and at the old forums have always complained about issues with ST3 VST3, but I personally have never experienced it. Admittedly I don't use CbB and haven't use Platinum in over 4 years, but can't recall any issues when I did use it, certainly no issues using the VST3 versions of IK's products in Studio One Pro for me, just my experience, make of that what you will.

From personal experience...

Antares VST2 plugins work much better than the VST3 ones in CbB.

UJAM virtual guitarist series work better with smaller ASIO buffer sizes if JBridged in CbB (as a 64 bit to 64 bit bridge - not a bridged 32bit plugin)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 3/10/2020 at 7:30 PM, Carlos said:

I have all my vst3 plugins on D : //

I just cut them and paste them there, lol.

Don't ask. 😂

Don t you have any issues ? Presets , manuals , or console 1 not finding vst3 components ?