.INS file for Alesis SR-16

Michael Fountas

Question

8 answers to this question

18 minutes ago, Michael Fountas said:

I'm wondering if someone could provide me with a working link/file with instrument definition for the Alesis SR-16, found a few dead links and an alesis rep told me to download from the cakewalk site (no idea where)

Thanks guys

Michael

Have you searched your entire hard drive for a file called Alesis.ins.  That file contains an entry for the Alesis SR 16

On my machine, pretty much every version of Cakewalk (right up to CbB) comes with this file.

On 1/15/2021 at 6:04 AM, Ken Fraser said:

Hello again

I have bought a s/h Alesis SR-16 and I have connected to my PC via MIDI, so if anyone has the knowledge and patience of how to activate the .ins file I would be grateful!

Go to the MIDI track you want your drums on.
For Output, select New Drum Map and navigate to the SR-16 drum maps.
The Alesis must be connected via MIDI.

On 1/15/2021 at 12:04 PM, Ken Fraser said:

Hello again

I have bought a s/h Alesis SR-16 and I have connected to my PC via MIDI, so if anyone has the knowledge and patience of how to activate the .ins file I would be grateful!

Once you have the Alesis connected via MIDI, you need to assign the .ins definition file to the port and channel(s)it is attached to. Go to Preferences>Midi>Instruments, click on the Define button, and it will open the "Define Instruments and Names" dialog. Click the Import button, and navigate to find the Alesis.ins file. Import that, close the dialog and now in the Instruments right column you should be able to find your Alesis. Link it to its port and channel in the left column, and you are set.   

Now when you open the Patch and Bank selectors in any MIDI track with output to that port and channel(s),  your  instrument´s patches should appear listed, the drum names should appear in the PRV, if available in the .ins file, and the CC numbers will also appear in the PRV assigned to the actual controller names.