Behringer announces Music Tribe DAW

cclarry

It’s now official. We will be creating our own Music Tribe DAW.
This is a massive undertaking, which will take at least 18 months and for that purpose we have now assembled a large development team.
Our Music Tribe DAW will also include samples and VST’s plus connections to third party VST’s. Our goal is to include the very best features available, including multiple user interfaces for both recording and DJ.  We would love to develop this together with you and hence encourage you to share your preferred platforms and features so we can consider your input. Our opportunity is that we have no legacy platform to maintain, which will allow us to think “blue sky” and combine the “best of all worlds”.

Best of all, the DAW will be FREE of charge! Our goal is to empower all musicians to record, mix, edit and publish their music.

As always thank you so much for all your support and loyalty.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Makes you wonder where the world of DAW is heading. Sort of reminds me of the days when web browsers were jostling each other as freebies to counter the lock Microsoft was trying to put on web access with their included browser. No doubt the free version will come set up to work with Behringer equipment as plug and play so they can make money on a freebie by selling the hardware. Coming up with the definitive perfect DAW for everyone in the now crowded field is just plain not going to happen with this effort, and driving the competition out with a zero price point seems unlikely. To the extent that plan succeeds we should start a pool guessing which current offerings will disappear first. I am betting not ProTools--any more than one would expect cubic zirconia to replace diamonds in the engagement ring market. This market is to a large extent controlled by a wannabe mindset that needs the most expensive thing that all the famous producers use.

I understand the DAW market is crowded. But the thing they got going for them is the clean slate. They are not dealing with any legacy product. They get to develop however they like.

I think that announcement is an open invitation to anyone who wants to join a beta team to help develop the product.

• Like 2

Given they already have

• the MIDAS 32, Behringer X32 and Wing mixers; 
  • the Windows/Linux/Mac/Android software to interface with it;
  • most mixers are software based anyway;
  • these mixers have a bunch of built in effects;

it doesn't seem like it would take much to transfer all that into a total software product at very little cost.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Grem said:

I understand the DAW market is crowded. But the thing they got going for them is the clean slate. They are not dealing with any legacy product. They get to develop however they like.

I think that announcement is an open invitation to anyone who wants to join a beta team to help develop the product.

I like this take.  It makes a lot sense.

53 minutes ago, Mandolin Picker said:

Given they already have

• the MIDAS 32, Behringer X32 and Wing mixers; 
  • the Windows/Linux/Mac/Android software to interface with it;
  • most mixers are software based anyway;
  • these mixers have a bunch of built in effects;

it doesn't seem like it would take much to transfer all that into a total software product at very little cost.

They a have a large user base with those products and if they market it correctly and delivery a quality product I can see it being very successful.

• Like 1

Well another DAW?

Perhaps Behringer may be looking to imitate the Presonus model. Presous has developed a HW/SW ecosystem where you live pretty comfortable  whether you are doing touring doing PA work, studio recording, or just getting started. With most HW, Presonus gives you a free copy of Studio One (DAW) so they can start you (and hopefully) keep you within their ecosystem. You also don't have to depend on an emulation like Mackie/HUI to "almost" talk to everything.

Behringer has developed a pretty extensive product line as well and it "sort of works" with most DAWs but they don't have as tight integration with any particular DAW (as Presonus does with Studio One). Since Behringer also owns Midas, with all of that HW, they may be wanting to create a better HW/SW solution - and a homegrown DAW may be part of that solution.

Not aware of any "Pro" DAWs that are "free" since there is a lot of cost involving development/maintenance/support/updates so it will be interesting to see where it goes....maybe a limited light version with a "upgrade path" sort of like Presonus (or Pro Tools for that matter). 

Might be fun to start a pool to see what it will be called - ULIDAW,  EURODAW,  TRIBEDAW, LOOKLIKEANOTHERDAW ....

...just another $.02....

Edited by BLHBLB
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2