PA Flash Sale - SPL Iron

cclarry

8 minutes ago, locrian said:

Has anyone been able to access the presets?  For some reason none are available (in Cubase). 😕

If it's the VST 3 version then you have to go to the drop down and select "Load Preset"
This happens with certain VST 3 Versions for some reason.

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, cclarry said:

If it's the VST 3 version then you have to go to the drop down and select "Load Preset"
This happens with certain VST 3 Versions for some reason.

You sir really are the King!  That was the problem -- thanks. 😀

• Like 1

Great price, nice plugin but one glaring fault - no mouse-over tool tips.

I shouldn't have refer to the manual every time I want to use a plugin to decipher what their cryptic labels actually mean (ie what a control actually does).
This issue means that even if it was free I'm never going to actually use it in a project - so I'm going to pass.

Edited by TheSteven
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hey friends sorry for the delay , sunday is alwayz rock n roll here with kids ....

spl iron versus sh ? 

Well as always it mainly depends on what you have already , spl iron has more vibe and more tones , shadow while precious about your material , is really printing by its personnaly the sound specially his ability to glue and even merge kick bass ect ... pretty unique ... i remeber prefering the iron versus green shadow witch is by the way more vibey than the red , but man the Red has a fuking class , pedigree .... 

So for mastering or to slap post mix : shadow hills winn

to use during production or mixing : iron 

Now , notice several things: the shadow is cleaner (aliasing wise ) has a big interface and can do more compressionsince it has 2 compressors ... the spl iron : hard to make it sound bad in anybsetting  ... less clean , gain stage a pain sinçe its 2db steps (we asked for a linear output ...wait and see) sio it can easily treak people during

Conclusion : if younown vibey compressors and want sole for the master bus : shadow 

if you want something  vibeyband and atvthe same time for your master bus , but don t mind some dirt ... : iron .

I knkw it doesn thelp dat much , but it s all subjectif and based on my style /liking/ and finding .

• Like 1
  • Thanks 6

34 minutes ago, Christian Jones said:

But, but.. If we have O9A why do we need this? All these "have to have it" posts like there never was an Ozone.. I thought I was doing good 😕

Ozone goes on the master bus as the final element, where we can use its limiter and spectral/spacial enhancements (and monitoring tools). Iron/Shadow Hills can go before Ozone for glue/character... or at least that's how I see it. (yeah... I know... Ozone has it's own compressor modules too...)

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, antler said:

Ozone goes on the master bus as the final element, where we can use its limiter and spectral/spacial enhancements (and monitoring tools). Iron/Shadow Hills can go before Ozone for glue/character... or at least that's how I see it. (yeah... I know... Ozone has it's own compressor modules too...)

Ah so like the SSL G bus comp that a lot of folks mix into for glue, this Iron/Shadow is a glue comp during the mixing process as opposed to the mastering process which is where Ozone would come in (?)..

To me rectifying diodes and corresponding capacitors are no mystery. Only one thing that really bugs me about labels - shouldn't microfarads be labeled with u, e.g., 1uF, 2uF, etc.? 1mF is perceived as 1 millifarad. Other than that, this compressor is the best I've heard in PA range.

During the last sale I was on the fence of buying Elysia Alpha Comp, but came across this video and changed my mind.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

11 minutes ago, Christian Jones said:

Ah so like the SSL G bus comp that a lot of folks mix into for glue, this Iron/Shadow is a glue comp during the mixing process as opposed to the mastering process which is where Ozone would come in (?)..

Sort of... I'm sure Iron and Shadow are both mastering grade compressors, so you could use them in the mastering stage too. It's just that Ozone also has effects other than for dynamics processing that can be used for finishing your tracks.

I suppose you can think of it like this: Ozone is a suite of effects for finishing your tracks; Ozone includes compressors, but you don't have to use them - if you preferred the sound of Iron/Shadow you can use those for dynamics processing, but use the other parts of Ozone for other areas, e.g. EQ-ing/stereo widening/limiting.

• Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, Soundwise said:

To me rectifying diodes and corresponding capacitors are no mystery. Only one thing that really bugs me about labels - shouldn't microfarads be labeled with u, e.g., 1uF, 2uF, etc.? 1mF is perceived as 1 millifarad. Other than that, this compressor is the best I've heard in PA range.

During the last sale I was on the fence of buying Elysia Alpha Comp, but came across this video and changed my mind.

Never had one issue with both, try it by yourself ...

30 minutes ago, Christian Jones said:

Ozone , is more like a fixing tools for me , it really lacks style , but it's not what it's here for ... if you reach the mastering stage happy with what you giot , ozone is the thing .... just enhance stuff smoothly when need , reduce dinamic and gain loudness if neeeded ....

Shadow and iron are more like "vernis / patine" to make the whole mix sounds cohesiv and dance the same dance ;)

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Fleer said:

And the Plugin Alliance version SPL Iron has separate mix and master versions. 

So... I'm only seeing one version.
Possibly I missed it but I'm not seeing any mention in the videos or manual about this...

How do you switch the plugin from single to dual mode?

Edited by TheSteven

2 hours ago, Zo said:

Ozone , is more like a fixing tools for me , it really lacks style , but it's not what it's here for ... if you reach the mastering stage happy with what you giot , ozone is the thing .... just enhance stuff smoothly when need , reduce dinamic and gain loudness if neeeded ....

Shadow and iron are more like "vernis / patine" to make the whole mix sounds cohesiv and dance the same dance ;)

So what's your favorite vibey compressor? I like vibey/gritty as opposed to clean though of course they both have their place even in the same setting but you know what I'm saying, 

27 minutes ago, TheSteven said:

So... I'm only seeing one version.
Possibly I missed it but I'm not seeing any mention in the videos or manual about this...

How do you switch the plugin from single to dual mode?

Good question. Haven’t found it either but saw it in one of the vids ...