Record MIDI arpeggio ?

sadicus

Simple Instrument, Kontakt Player 6 with Arp patch.
The arpeggio sound is working real time, how to record the arpeggio MIDI?
Currently just single notes are recorded.

Original post
http://forum.cakewalk.com/How-to-record-arpeggiated-MIDI-m3702481.aspx

1) After recording the MIDI track,
2) bounce the MIDI clips (Track view Clips menu) to render the arp pattern as MIDI.

Not sure why this is not working today.
I've tried recording on the Instrument track and on a MIDI track. Bounce to clip is not converting to Arp.

Edited by sadicus

I think that Cbb midi track Arp works with the bounce, but there needs to be a different type of routing to get VST Patch Arp pattern recorded to a MIDI track.

tabla drum track

Hey that sounds cool, let us know when your song is complete!

Sadicus ,  I'm done with the main body of the project but don't know yet what to do with it.  As far as the tabla track , I built the entire 3.5 min.  of it in about a half hour using a mouse in prv with the arp. It would have taken me forever any other way. Some of the drums were a measure long and other were real short hits. It was easy to edit without having much show up in prv. When I did a bounce to clips , the screen got so full I had a harder time editing further , but I could get more precise. Try is sometime , it could probably be done just using percussion instruments also. It was actually fun doing it.  Good luck ..    mark

Are you using the built in CbB arpeggiator?

@mark skinner I am wondering if you are you talking about what I have been calling the "Inspector-based arpeggiator." If not, could you tell me which one you are using? Also, if we are talking about the same thing, did you trigger the notes from an external midi controller and more importantly were you able to get the arpeggiator function settings to respond to external midi controls?

Also, I do not use the PRV (except to see what other people are talking about), but you are describing sounds like it might fit nicely with one of my compositional/performance modalities. So, I would be interested in other insights you have or might have.  

Thanks.

image.png.40b9be696e2d78d6b25157a606e14904.png

2 hours ago, mark skinner said:

Sadicus ,  I'm done with the main body of the project but don't know yet what to do with it.  As far as the tabla track , I built the entire 3.5 min.  of it in about a half hour using a mouse in prv with the arp. It would have taken me forever any other way. Some of the drums were a measure long and other were real short hits. It was easy to edit without having much show up in prv. When I did a bounce to clips , the screen got so full I had a harder time editing further , but I could get more precise. Try is sometime , it could probably be done just using percussion instruments also. It was actually fun doing it.  Good luck ..    mark

Measure long percussion notes? Or a measure full of shorter percussion notes? If the former, the Event Inspector can make all the selected percussion notes as short as you want. I generally use a Duration of 84 for percussion notes when I don't, or can't, use a drum map.

@sadicusKontakt Player  has an option in "Options > Engine > Send MIDI to outside world" for "script generated notes" (otherwise only incoming notes get recorded).

For example if I enable that feature, and load an instrument with internal arpeggiator in Kontakt, the MIDI output contains all of the output notes from the arpeggiator which can be recorded in the MIDI track and viewed in the Cakewalk piano roll.

I would also recommend splitting the instrument track into separate MIDI and audio tracks, then arming only the MIDI track for record.

Edited by abacab
  • Like 1

I am not at the computer now, and I do not remember whether or not you can record the MIDI output of an instrument in the same MIDI track, but what you definitely can do is recording the output to a different track. Just arm that to record and set input from the original track. 

Edit: Of course you need to make sure that you checked the option for sending MIDI in the VSTi.

Edited by JoseC

13 minutes ago, JoseC said:

I am not at the computer now, and I do not remember whether or not you can record the MIDI output of an instrument in the same MIDI track

I just tried it earlier by splitting the instrument track, and them arming the resulting MIDI track.  That does work!

And yes, do agree that you first need to make sure the VST is capable of sending MIDI and it is enabled, which in this case is Kontakt Player. And that is a go!

Edited by abacab

@User 905133Yes I'm referring to the arp in the track inspector column for a midi track. 1/32 rate and 4 octaves worked well for what I was doing. I don't think I could have gotten it done so easy using my controller. Mouse was easy. @Javadude54The measure long notes were a single drum hit with the duration dragged out a measure or however long I wanted it. The arp repeated it until the end of the measure. 2 of these long ones were going most of the time with different short ones added for accents. Easily done just in prv.    ms

• Like 1

Just a footnote:

Using the MFX Arpeggiator plug-in and the CTRL + Right Click method to select the plug-in, we have the ability to generate arpeggiated midi events directly from the Staff View and the PRV.  Not saying this is a preferred solution, but it does seem to be another tool for adding arpeggiated notes to the midi event list.

Edited by User 905133
to change the link to the 3rd post in the thread as it is more directly related
  • Like 1