No audio from MIDI keyboard (Solved)

I am a long time Cakewalk user, and I have several MIDI keyboards connected to my DAW computer via USB. I recently reconnected an older keyboard, my Roland RD300 GX, and for some reason, it doesn't seem to be transmitting any audio/midi, while my two other connected keyboards are fine. As an experiment, I opened up another DAW (Studio One) and added the Roland Keyboard, and it works fine. So it doesn't appear to be an issue with the hardware, but specifically my Cakewalk software, which is up to date and otherwise running normally. I have checked all preferences and don't see anything in there that would prevent the MIDI from being transmitted/received and generating audio from my loaded virtual instruments, but the keyboard is not working as a controller at all. I can play it fine via it's audio ports (local control)...

I'm interested in any suggestions on how to troubleshoot this issue, as I prefer to use Cakewalk over Studio One in everyday use

Thanks.

Edited by Dave Maffris

If it had been connected to a different USB port, in the past, and set up in Preferences as a valid midi input device, you may need to remove the check on it in Preferences, then click Apply, then save your project, then reopen the project, and add that keyboard back into Preferences as a midi input device.

The above is what I have to do when the hidden internal 'mapping' in Windows, for a given midi device, changes because of a move to a different USB port.  This is a GIANT pain in the rear for me, but the above steps seem to get things working again, for me.  There may be some other set of steps to resolve this issue (IF you are having the same issue that I have), but anyways, give the above a try and see if that clears things up for you.

Bob Bone

Thanks, Bob, I think I may have tried this to no avail, but will do so again. I didn't move the USB port on the computer (I can barely get to the back of my gigantic DAW workstation), and also I'm not having the problem in Studio One, but perhaps it is a mapping issue with Cakewalk, and so we'll see. I started a new project in Studio One and there are no issues, but I work faster and more familiarly in Cakewalk, so getting this resolved would be a huge plus, as I only recently moved this Roland keyboard back in my studio (it was in my house) and want to use it primarily as a controller in Cakewalk.

If I solve this I will report back.

Thanks again.

Check the Midi Channel the KB is transmitting from, it may be set to a specific channel that does not correspond to the Mid channel of the track/Instrument you are trying to control.  Try setting the Track for "Omni" midi input or Change the transmitting channel of the KB to match the midi channel set to receive on the track.

Hope that helps!

Peace,

Blindeddie

Thanks, I've done that, too, it's odd, because nothing has changed, and the keyboard works perfectly within another DAW, so I don't know what, if anything has changed with the latest CbB update...but I haven't found even one setting that is out of kilter or unusual. It will get resolved evenutally, maybe something really obvious I'm missing.

OK, I'm not exactly sure what I did to fix it, but I have fixed it, as of this moment, all of my USB midi-connected keyboards are working properly again. Thanks for the suggestions, perhaps removing and adding  the roland keyboard did the trick, or something I did in Studio One had a positive impact on CbB, but whatever it is, right now we are back in business. Case closed until further notice 😀

• Like 1