Velocity and volume

ckaus Kstholm

Question

Hi guys. Im from Denmark... try english. 
in pianoroll i can change velocity in a note , feks the snare. What if i just want to change the volume and not change velocity ?

when i hit the snare hard , and i want that sound, the Sound Will change if i increase the velocity. I whish to increase the volume, but with the same Sound ??

is it possible?

3 answers to this question

The MIDI spec allows for volume changes (CC 7) and expression (CC 11), but both of those affect everything on that channel not individual notes. So if you adjust volume for the snare, you'd be adjust the volume for everything else too.

So although the short answer would be "no", it largely depends on the drum VST your using.

There's a couple of routes you could take:

1. Split your drums out into separate channels/tracks: If each drum has its own track, you can adjust the volume (e.g. using automation) at various points when needed. You can route all of these tracks to their own bus so you've got overall control of drum volume using the bus fader.

2. Your drum VSTi may have some automation parameters allowing you to adjust the individual output level of each drum using an automation envelope.

Note: Although I've mentioned using automation above, if you want to do everything in the PRV, most drum VSTi's can map automation to MIDI CC values, so you can use the CC lane in the PRV instead if you wish.

• Like 2