32 bits plugins

Apeirofobia

Hi guys.

I've been using some 32 bits vst's  on cakewalk, and I've had a great experience. But just today after several months not using them, I opened Cakewalk and loaded a few vsts, and I had audio glitches with every 32 bits vst I used and everytime I played a note. This is the first time I've experienced this issue. 

I also tried with different buffer sizes and the glitches were less frequent with a bigger buffer, but still appeared.

Any recommendation? 

Thanks in advance!

59 minutes ago, Promidi said:

Are you able to find 64bit versions of the problematic 32bit plugins.  Are you able to give Jbridge a try?

https://jstuff.wordpress.com/jbridge/

Personally, I have banished all 32bit plugins from my PC and only use 64bit plugins.

Most of them dont have a 64bits version, and I can't afford Jbridge, I dont even have a credit card so thats why almost all my software is free.

It's weird because a few updates before, they were all working just fine.

What happens to your issues if you test the bypassing of all effects?  To test this,  hit the letter 'E' on your computer keyboard, and that is a shortcut key to disengage (bypass) any of the effects loaded into the project.  After doing this, please play your 32-bit plugins again, and see if the issues disappear when the effects are bypassed.  Post back here with the results of that test.

Don't worry - after completing your test, simply hit 'E' again to again process your effects.  ('E' just toggles effects processing on/off).

Also, please list some info on your computer's specs and settings - desktop/laptop, memory, audio interface make/model, project sample rate, project audio Driver Mode (ASIO?, WASAPI?)

Bob Bone

18 hours ago, Robert Bone said:

What happens to your issues if you test the bypassing of all effects?  To test this,  hit the letter 'E' on your computer keyboard, and that is a shortcut key to disengage (bypass) any of the effects loaded into the project.  After doing this, please play your 32-bit plugins again, and see if the issues disappear when the effects are bypassed.  Post back here with the results of that test.

Don't worry - after completing your test, simply hit 'E' again to again process your effects.  ('E' just toggles effects processing on/off).

Also, please list some info on your computer's specs and settings - desktop/laptop, memory, audio interface make/model, project sample rate, project audio Driver Mode (ASIO?, WASAPI?)

Bob Bone

Disabling the effects didn't fix the glitches. 

I'm using a laptop, 1.8GHz, 8GB RAM.

I'm also using an Scarlett 18i20 3rd gen in ASIO Mode.

The project is in 48kHz and 24bits.

Thank you for answering!

What is your ASIO Buffer Size? 

If you have not yet done this, I suggest you have your antivirus either temporarily disabled while in Cakewalk (and do not access internet if so), OR add Exclusions/Exceptions to your antivirus software, so that it doesn't scan: Cakewalk Projects folder, Cakewalk Content folder, any Sample Library folders (just have to include the parent folders, and it will also exclude any sub-folders contained in any parent folder).

With antivirus software running, without the above exclusions/exveptions, then every time Cakewalk or a loaded synth or effect reads or writes any files in those folders, the antivirus software will dutifully scan each file, for viruses.  Since all of those files are either static (meaning really just read only, like sample files), or are created during the Cakewalk project session, there is no need to scan all of those, every time they are accessed.  It just slows down and impedes the streaming audio performance, and can cause audio hiccups at times.  Further, unless you are downloading compressed files/folders directly from the web into the folders I named above, all of the files would have gotten scanned as you were downloading them, because the antivirus software checks files as it is downloading them - exceot for compressed ones.  If you download any compressed files/folders, to your Downloads folder, and THEN extract the files, prior to moving them to any of the above named folders or sub-folders, then they WILL get scanned at that time, so when you access them repeatedly while in Cakewalk, even though they are excluded from being scanned - you already know they are clean.

Anyways, the above may help, and even if it does not clear up this particular issue, if you were not excluding those folders and their sub-folders, then you should still see a performance boost on loading or writing files to and from those folders, so it is still well worth doing.

Incidentally, have you tried temporarily disabling your WiFi drivers, just ahead of launching Cakewalk?  Some WiFi drivers really jack up the latency and cause audio issues.  You would either have some sort of a physical switch, or a function key, (usually) to turn off WiFi or turn it back on again - and this is the easiest way to do it.  If no such physical or logical switch is present, you can go into Device Manager and disable the WiFi drivers there - do NOT uninstall them - simply disable them,. and then when done with your Cakewalk session, you can enable them again, or if you had used the switch, use it again to turn the WiFi back on.  This might help, too....

Bob Bone

14 hours ago, Robert Bone said:

By the way - can you please list all of the 32-bit plugins you have had these issues with?  Just curious, perhaps one of us knows of a 64-bit plugin that might give you the sounds or effects processing you are trying to use.

Thanks, 

Bob Bone

I've used a lot, but one of the most important for me is Redtron (a mellotron vst). I use only free vsts, or most of them at least are freebies.

And I've used diferent buffer sizes, but most of the time 512 samples.

I will try what you posted before and post an update!

Edited by Apeirofobia

What is your ASIO Buffer Size? 

If you have not yet done this, I suggest you have your antivirus either temporarily disabled while in Cakewalk (and do not access internet if so), OR add Exclusions/Exceptions to your antivirus software, so that it doesn't scan: Cakewalk Projects folder, Cakewalk Content folder, any Sample Library folders (just have to include the parent folders, and it will also exclude any sub-folders contained in any parent folder).

With antivirus software running, without the above exclusions/exveptions, then every time Cakewalk or a loaded synth or effect reads or writes any files in those folders, the antivirus software will dutifully scan each file, for viruses.  Since all of those files are either static (meaning really just read only, like sample files), or are created during the Cakewalk project session, there is no need to scan all of those, every time they are accessed.  It just slows down and impedes the streaming audio performance, and can cause audio hiccups at times.  Further, unless you are downloading compressed files/folders directly from the web into the folders I named above, all of the files would have gotten scanned as you were downloading them, because the antivirus software checks files as it is downloading them - exceot for compressed ones.  If you download any compressed files/folders, to your Downloads folder, and THEN extract the files, prior to moving them to any of the above named folders or sub-folders, then they WILL get scanned at that time, so when you access them repeatedly while in Cakewalk, even though they are excluded from being scanned - you already know they are clean.

Anyways, the above may help, and even if it does not clear up this particular issue, if you were not excluding those folders and their sub-folders, then you should still see a performance boost on loading or writing files to and from those folders, so it is still well worth doing.

Incidentally, have you tried temporarily disabling your WiFi drivers, just ahead of launching Cakewalk?  Some WiFi drivers really jack up the latency and cause audio issues.  You would either have some sort of a physical switch, or a function key, (usually) to turn off WiFi or turn it back on again - and this is the easiest way to do it.  If no such physical or logical switch is present, you can go into Device Manager and disable the WiFi drivers there - do NOT uninstall them - simply disable them,. and then when done with your Cakewalk session, you can enable them again, or if you had used the switch, use it again to turn the WiFi back on.  This might help, too....

Bob Bone

Just tried both options, Wifi and Antivirus and nothing worked.

But, what I discovered is that when I'm using the MME Driver Mode with Windows Audio drivers, I dont get the glitches. 

But as soon as I switch to the ASIO Drivers of the Scarlett 18i20 I start getting the audio trouble.

Obviously I can't work with the windows drivers(since the latency and audio inputs and outputs).

Edited by Apeirofobia

3 hours ago, Apeirofobia said:

I've used a lot, but one of the most important for me is Redtron (a mellotron vst). I use only free vsts, or most of them at least are freebies.

And I've used diferent buffer sizes, but most of the time 512 samples.

I will try what you posted before and post an update!

Howdy - I have 3 versions of the Redtron, all 32-bit.  Can you please detail PRECISELY the name of the dll executable file for the one you have, and also give me the version info (hover your mouse over it in its folder in File Explorer, and it might display that for you), and give me its size, and I will see which one of mine that matches up to.

I just inserted one of them into a new project, and it plays just fine.

Bob Bone

1 hour ago, Robert Bone said:

Howdy - I have 3 versions of the Redtron, all 32-bit.  Can you please detail PRECISELY the name of the dll executable file for the one you have, and also give me the version info (hover your mouse over it in its folder in File Explorer, and it might display that for you), and give me its size, and I will see which one of mine that matches up to.

I just inserted one of them into a new project, and it plays just fine.

Bob Bone

The name is Redtron_SE.dll and it has a folder that includes a few files too, and its 11MB(dll file).

Thanks!

Edited by Apeirofobia

Howdy - so, I inserted that exact same Redtron_SE plugin, into a new project, and it played just fine, so whatever is going on, it would seem to be with your system.

Please tell me what version and build your Windows is - is it completely current on maintenance?

How about the drivers for your audio interface?  Up to date on maintenance?

I think if we examine your configuration, maintenance levels, and possibly settings, we might figure out why this same plugin weirds out on your system, while playing just fine on mine.

Bob Bone

Howdy - so, I inserted that exact same Redtron_SE plugin, into a new project, and it played just fine, so whatever is going on, it would seem to be with your system.

Please tell me what version and build your Windows is - is it completely current on maintenance?

How about the drivers for your audio interface?  Up to date on maintenance?

I think if we examine your configuration, maintenance levels, and possibly settings, we might figure out why this same plugin weirds out on your system, while playing just fine on mine.

Bob Bone

Sadly I'm getting the same trouble with the vst's you sent me.

I use Windows 10, version 10.0.18362, I think i'ts the latest.

The drivers for my Scarlett 18i20 are up to date.

Thanks in advance!