[SOLVED] OT Question About Cover Art in Metadata

razor7music

Hello Group--

Please allow me to clarify my question. I got zero replies from the post I made in the Wavelab (Steinberg) forum since Feb 26th, so I'm coming here for the expert helpful pros to answer my question for them.

Let me put my question in context. When I add artwork to my MP3's, I do it in Wavelab. I add the cover art there under Cover art (front). Within WL, there are also options for other locations for the artwork, namely Cover art (back), etc.

I've never used anything but the front cover art feature, so here's my question in two parts:

1) Can I add front cover art AND back cover art to the same MP3 file?
2) If yes, how does a consumer go about viewing the front and back cover art from an MP3 file?

First person to answer gets a cookie! (It will be deposited into your browser cache)

Thanks!!

Edited by razor7music

20 minutes ago, Wibbles said:

1) Yes. Here's a somewhat ancient article: https://www.richardfarrar.com/embedding-album-art-in-mp3-files/

2) Using their MP3 playback software.

I only accept payment in becan. 

There must not be a lot written on the subject, or you and I used identical search terms, because I read that article too. Sadly, doesn't answer my question.

I do see that you said they can view cover art in the player software, so that's great, provided the answer to #1 is yes.

Sorry about the becan, US currency only. 🤪

Edited by razor7music

12 minutes ago, razor7music said:

I do see that you said they can view cover art in the player software, so that's great, provided the answer to #1 is yes.

That probably depends on the software though.

Edited by Wibbles

FWIW - I use Media Monkey to embed artwork (not sure if you can from foobar2000 or not - never tried!), but I've also never needed more than the cover art.  That said, stuff I've bought, I've never seen more than the cover embedded.

Thanks everyone. Sounds like kind of a mystery at the moment. Not sure why Steinberg would offer an option that is of no use. I'm beginning to think that maybe the artwork metadata options in WL are for CD's and the printer grabs the stuff out of the file.

Anyway, I still have support for my version of the WL product, so I reached out to their support. If I get a usable response, I'll post it here.

Hello--

I heard back from Steinberg support and they indicated I can add as much artwork as I want to an MP3 file and it can be viewed from players, like iTunes.

I tested having a front and back cover of two different images in an MP3 file, and in iTunes I could see all the artwork under Artwork, and then just scroll to the right. I only tested the front and back, but I could have added more.

Very cool to know. If you want to give a little extra something to you fans that actually download your music, this is a good way.

Edited by razor7music
  • Like 1