Embertone Walker 1955 Concert D for Kontakt | Livestream replay

53 minutes ago, Hidden Symmetry said:

Great review & refreshing to see an actual musician doing one.

Thanks so much, glad you enjoyed it.

This library is a beast with a ridiculous (in a good way) amount of mic positions and samples covering every possible combination of pedals, crazy! 

11 hours ago, Christian Jones said:

You're like the Bob Ross of pianists. Now I want this. I'm sort of in the market for a good piano. The best piano I have now is The Grandeur. @Simeon Amburgey what's the best piano vst you've tried? 

That's so funny, I love it! Believe me I always want to share my honest experiences and reactions with these types of things.

I love the Grandeur as well but it has a distinctive sound as I say of all libraries.
Grandeur is very dynamic and I was using it in a project recently; it seemed it was just sounding too "hard" for a lack of a better word. I then pulled the Walker D into the project and when I adjusted the velocity response all of a sudden it fit right in. I might try and post some sort of clip of how both sounded in this arrangement.

There is really no one size fits all piano library as each one is totally unique in their own playability and character. So I guess right now my go to pianos would be (not in any particular order:

NOIRE (is really a work of art: Yamaha CFX)
Grandeur (Classic Steinway Big larger than life sound)
Walker Concert D (*see Pianoteq note) (Velocity layers galore with lots of room to tweak response)
Ascend (Steinway meets sound design)
Motion Keys (Taking Keys deeper into sound design territory.
Mosaic Keys (for even deeper sound design when you need something really out there)
Vibrant (for bang on Rhodes and Electrics)
Pianoteq 6 (* for just the playability and knowing I have full executive control of this piano; not playing back another musicians performance)

Ivory II: Grand Pianos and American Concert D : I just finished a video review of these and although they have some years on them I love their upfront sit in the mix (if somewhat dry) sound. Also I have been able to get some great response from them. Remember these are the same people behind the original digital piano sample library revolution when you only had around 1mb of memory to play with.

Please keep the questions coming as it helps me to search for more definitive answers to help any way I can. I have been blessed to have been able to play so many pianos over the years practically all over the world which allows me to have an interesting perspective on things and I love to share these experiences with all of you.

Edited by Simeon Amburgey
  • Thanks 3

• 2 weeks later...

Hey @Simeon Amburgey what's your favorite Pianoteq piano? I'm looking at just getting that so I don't have to mess w/ a large library. Plus you can't really demo these sample pianos w/o buying it, just not practical to do so w/ the size of samples. Pianoteq's looking good. I need something good to play The Young and the Restless. I agree about The Grandeur being a bit "hard" sounding, but it's the best piano I have in Komplete 10 and I'm not crazy about it anymore honestly. 

Edited by Christian Jones
  • Like 1

Watching your Ivory video. Man I don't know what piano to chose at this point lol. I may get a sampled piano after all. Is NOIRE only really good for that soft tone or can it do a good standard grand sound too? Looks like you can maybe try some of these sampled pianos before buying after all here https://account.bestservice.com/try-sound/session_booking.html

• Like 1
  • Great Idea 1

9 hours ago, Christian Jones said:

Watching your Ivory video. Man I don't know what piano to chose at this point lol. I may get a sampled piano after all. Is NOIRE only really good for that soft tone or can it do a good standard grand sound too? Looks like you can maybe try some of these sampled pianos before buying after all here https://account.bestservice.com/try-sound/session_booking.html

OK, thought you might enjoy this as well.
Here are a couple more vids I did for NOIRE which is a beautiful library.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Christian Jones said:

Hey @Simeon Amburgey what's your favorite Pianoteq piano? I'm looking at just getting that so I don't have to mess w/ a large library. Plus you can't really demo these sample pianos w/o buying it, just not practical to do so w/ the size of samples. Pianoteq's looking good. I need something good to play The Young and the Restless. I agree about The Grandeur being a bit "hard" sounding, but it's the best piano I have in Komplete 10 and I'm not crazy about it anymore honestly. 

Pianoteq is amazing in the modelling is really dynamic and I also love to be able to reposition the mics ;^)

Their latest Steinway models are fabulous and I love the Bluethner model as well as it is sort of like a Steinway and a Yamaha C7 had a baby. You have some of the qualities of both.

10 hours ago, Simeon Amburgey said:

Pianoteq is amazing in the modelling is really dynamic and I also love to be able to reposition the mics ;^)

Their latest Steinway models are fabulous and I love the Bluethner model as well as it is sort of like a Steinway and a Yamaha C7 had a baby. You have some of the qualities of both.

Right on man. 

So my last question (for now) would be.. Out of all the piano instruments you own, vst and sampled, if you could only have one for the rest of your life, and the guy has a gun to your head and he is absolutely making you chose one, which would it be? 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, Christian Jones said:

Right on man. 

So my last question (for now) would be.. Out of all the piano instruments you own, vst and sampled, if you could only have one for the rest of your life, and the guy has a gun to your head and he is absolutely making you chose one, which would it be? 

Well, it’s almost like asking the question can God create something so heavy, He could not lift it....hmmm

oh, and you have not hear the Garritan/Abbey Road CFX Grand or Impact Soundworks Pearl yet! (coming soon).

I will have to think about this some more....what was that ? It sound like a gunsho 💥

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Simeon Amburgey said:

will have to think about this some more....what was that ? It sound like a gunsho 💥

Pretty sure it was a blank.. He wants to give you a chance to answer, seeing as it's a lifelong decision and all he understands that. 

There's just too many pianos and you practically need to buy a new ssd for every 2 or so libraries you pick up. I mean, you've probably already got 5 ssds yourself just for pianos 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Christian Jones said:

There's just too many pianos and you practically need to buy a new ssd for every 2 or so libraries you pick up. I mean, you've probably already got 5 ssds yourself just for pianos 

Well SSDs are definitely the way to go. The new system I put together at the first of the year includes 2 1TB NVME drives, a 2TB SSD, 500gb C:\ Drive, a 120 GB Project Drive and way too many External USB3 drives for system images and project archives.

Oh, just a heads up you can follow me on Twitter @praisetracks and subscribe to my channel as I have been doing mostly livestreams lately on playing through libraries and such. I am looking at going through the SampleTank 4 pianos and later this week the Garritan/Abbey Road Yamaha CFX piano library. I have just been having a crazy time working out some video glitches.

Thanks for the humor and support, I definitely want to approach things in an objective, honest and transparent way. One of my greatest blessings is to have had the opportunity of actually playing most of the piano models represented in the libraries I review. Last year around Christmas I actually was able to play a real Yamaha CFX which NOIRE and now the Garritan/Abbey Road piano was based on. I am very grateful to be able to share with all of you.

See you on The YouTube ;) 

• Like 1