Cakewalk does not see vsti

I just reinstalled Windows. Cakewalk and some vst instruments. For some reason, Cakewalk does not see my Korg M1 vst. It always did in the past. The path to the plugin is in the paths in the VST Plugin section. I scanned, re-scanned, uninstalled, re-installed, re-scanned and CW sees everything but the M1.  What am I doing wrong? 

1 hour ago, TVR PRODUCTIONS said:

I just reinstalled Windows. Cakewalk and some vst instruments. For some reason, Cakewalk does not see my Korg M1 vst. It always did in the past. The path to the plugin is in the paths in the VST Plugin section. I scanned, re-scanned, uninstalled, re-installed, re-scanned and CW sees everything but the M1.  What am I doing wrong? 

Is it VST 2 or VST 3?

Step one: verify that the DLL is actually where you think it is. Yeh, that falls under the "duh" category but it's always gotta be step 1. I've been bitten by not making it step #1, e.g. the plugin's installer put it somewhere I didn't expect.

Once you've verified the DLL is present and where you think it should be, there are only two reasons for it to not show up:

1. The VST's internal registration failed, or

2. Cakewalk never initiated the registration because it didn't know about the VST's existence.

Open a scan log and re-scan all your VSTs. Do a text search within the resulting log file on the DLL's filename.

If it's not there at all, then it's scenario #2 (you haven't told the scanner where to find the DLL).

If it's in the log but raised an error during initialization, the error may provide a clue as to what went wrong, e.g. a missing dependency or insufficient Windows permissions to create some file.

Korg M1 goes to C:\Program Files\VstPlugins\KORG\M1.dll.  SInce C:\Program Files\VstPlugins is one of the paths in plugin mgr, that eliminates #1

I am not sure how to run a scan log. I don't think it is a permissions issue because I have been using this plugin for a couple of years and worked until I did fresh install of windows 10. I am an administrator so I should have rights to everything. Thanks for the suggestions

the plug-in may have failed during scanning causing it to be added to the Excluded List. To see if the plug-in is excluded

• Open the Plug-in Manager.
  • Select VST Instrument (VSTI) from the Plug-in Categories listbox in the Plug-in Manager.
  • Click the Show Excluded radio button below the Plug-in Categories listbox.

If it is there here is how to force a rescan of excluded plug-ins

Open VST Settings in preferences

• If the Scan Options drop down is not set to Manual Scan, temporarily set it to Manual Scan
  • Enable Rescan Failed Plug-ins (normally this should be disabled)
  • Enable Scan in Sandbox (this is the default)
  • Enable Generate Scan Log (this is disabled by default)
  • Click the Scan button
  • Disable Rescan Failed Plug-ins (and Rescan All Plug-ins if it happens to be enabled) and restore the Scan Options drop down.

Check for the plug-in. If you have a lot if synths, searching is a fast way to check if one is there. Make sure to use one of the factory supplied "Sort By" layouts. In this case, search for m1

If the plug-in is still not available. Review the scan log. There may be some clues in it.

An alternative to scanning failed plug-ins is a VST Reset. This completely rebuilds the VST Inventory in the registry. To perform a reset

Open VST Settings in preferences

• Make sure Scan in Sandbox is enabled
  • Enable Generate Scan Log
  • Click the Reset button

Review the scan log if problems still exist.

• Great Idea 2

I already checked the excluded list. Anyway, I uninstalled and re-installed to see where it was being installed. It is 64 bit so it went to Program Files. It placed the dll in the same folder and for some reason, this time it worked, despite me doing this very same thing a few times before I posted. So, problem solved for now. Thanks for the instructions for the scan plugins folder. I will keep it for future reference.