Take me down south (cover)

mark skinner

I took a writing break and did my first cover song .  Gary Clark Jr.'s Take me down south.  I had a corrupt project that took me forever to finish. Any suggestions will be great.  I'll remove the song afterwards. I did it just to keep for myself.  Weapons - Godin Lapatrie , G&L asat , Homemade lap steel , old blues harp , SI drums .  Thanks ..  mark  https://soundcloud.com/user-810058643/down-south-cover

• Like 4

right away, i like the low end in the acoustic,

it sounds full, without being boomy. good capture.

vocal performance is excellent.

i think the drum track sounds good, but is a bit busy for the mellow quality,

i think if you simply took out every other snare double hit,, that'd do it.

there are too many in a row, and it's a bit distracting. but that's the only thing i'd change.

excellent captures on the harmonica, and slide. great tune.

• Like 1

Thanks for the comments and suggestions so far.  The snare drum has gotten on my nerves from the beginning. I keep turning it down but it keeps coming back up during mastering. I really hadn't considered deleting notes. Thanks @batsbrewfor that one. The busy off kilter drums are one of the main hooks in the original song but I guess everyone is in agreement I kinda missed it. I've done a lot to the drums already and sounding a lot better. Not done yet.  To Tom @DeeringAmpsthanks again. I've done a handfull of covers mainly during my cassette days and a couple I sent to my brother , but this is really my first full blown cover project..   Thanks ..   mark

Gave this one another listen.
Well done on the changes...  sounds really nice.

You have a lovely voice mate..  and your mixing skills are good to.
What is your vocal mixing chain/microphone?

Liked this a lot.

Edited by garybrun

Gary , Nothing special in the chain. Used an AT 3035 with low cut. Sonitus eq, Izotope vocal doubler , Sonitus reverb. Pro channel- comp, gloss eq(subtractive and notching)console emulator. At the end I used the style dial "grit" module . This made a Big difference trying to get the rough vocal sound I wanted. Still have some minor work to do on the opening vocal line. Part of this corrupt project was any vocal overdubs sounded like they were recorded on different planets.  Thanks  mark