Expontential Audio Phoenix Verb

cclarry

With an iLok dongle - I don't find the one activation limitation imposed by some creators a limit.  You just move the dongle to your other machine if you need those plugins.  I'm going to be replacing one of my audio computers soon and the iLok plugins will be the least of my headaches, activation is easy peazy.  No challenge & response,  locating serial numbers, or computer install limits.
If you've got a fair number of Pace protected plugins bite the bullet & get the dongle. The next time you have to set up a new computer for audio you'll thank yourself.

Edited by TheSteven
  • Like 4

8 hours ago, TheSteven said:

With an iLok dongle - I don't find the one activation limitation imposed by some creators a limit.  You just move the dongle to your other machine if you need those plugins.  I'm going to be replacing one of my audio computers soon and the iLok plugins will be the least of my headaches, activation is easy peazy.  No challenge & response,  locating serial numbers, or computer install limits.
If you've got a fair number of Pace protected plugins bite the bullet & get the dongle. The next time you have to set up a new computer for audio you'll thank yourself.

It isn't worth an extra $35-50 that the customer has to pay.     Not to mention giving up the USB port for absoludlty no reason other than the manufature treating the buyer like a potential crimianl.     My fairly expensive laptop has 3 usb ports.  

Audio Interface

External HD  or USB for Expanded storage as who would dare use anyting other than an SSD in a laptop these days?

MIDI Controller/Keyboard

Mouse

Ilok

USB to autorizae WAVE S or other system that requires non-ilok method

qwerty keyboard

And it isn't just about replacing a computer, many of us own more than one "real use" computers.  I personally have at least 3 or more.  

10 minutes ago, Brian Walton said:

It isn't worth an extra $35-50 that the customer has to pay.

Depending on what you have/use and how often you move to different hardware, the convenience of not de-authorizing/re-authorizing plugins and apps when moving to new machines may be worth that money

14 minutes ago, Brian Walton said:

giving up the USB port

ilok cloud may help there

All that said, no authorization/licensing (e.g., Hornet plugins) is certainly friendlier, and I do pay for Hornet plugins and not try to "find free copies". At least from me they're gaining goodwill by being friendly and not "losing" anything.

Sorry if this has already been said. I'll be the first to complain about paying a 3rd party company for a license I bought from another. I also don't like to fiddle with iLok's dongle.  :)    But having said that, what's the big deal with 1 activation? It's easy enough to "authorize" the plugin through the iLok Software Manager. If you want to go to a different machine, open the software, deactivate it on your current machine, then authorize over on the other. Same as Waves...  No dongle required.

3 hours ago, Brian Walton said:

It isn't worth an extra $35-50 that the customer has to pay.     Not to mention giving up the USB port for absoludlty no reason other than the manufature treating the buyer like a potential crimianl.     My fairly expensive laptop has 3 usb ports.  

>It isn't worth an extra $35-50 that the customer has to pay. 
It definitely is, it is not adding that price per plugin.

> Not to mention giving up the USB port..  My fairly expensive laptop has 3 usb ports.  
Powered USB3 hubs are not that expensive, now days 3 USB ports are not enough.  I exceeded that number without using any dongles.

>than the manufature treating the buyer like a potential crimianl.   
meh, I disagree with your premise.
If all my plugins were iLok, setting up my next Audio computer would take hours instead of days or longer.

Edited by TheSteven
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, TheSteven said:

>It isn't worth an extra $35-50 that the customer has to pay. 
It definitely is, it is not adding that price per plugin.

> Not to mention giving up the USB port..  My fairly expensive laptop has 3 usb ports.  
Powered USB3 hubs are not that expensive, now days 3 USB ports are not enough.  I exceeded that number without using any dongles.

>than the manufature treating the buyer like a potential crimianl.   
meh, I disagree with your premise.
If all my plugins were iLok, setting up my next Audio computer would take hours instead of days or longer.

ilok is a scam, period.  In  my opinion. , it provides no value.  I do not accept any notion that a software company needs to require paying customers to a single seat/authorization.  

It is a fair assumption that you have never persoanlly had an ilock dongle fail.  I've seen it happen a number of times.  

Edited by Brian Walton

10 hours ago, Brian Walton said:

ilok is a scam, period.  In  my opinion. , it provides no value.  I do not accept any notion that a software company needs to require paying customers to a single seat/authorization. 

meh, like I said previously I disagree with your premise.

If you think it has no value, then to you then it probably doesn't.  I don't feel the same way but like anything else YMMV.
I respect your right to hate iLoks or other forms of copy protection but not your character dispersion on those that use such techniques.

The idea that any developer who uses copy protection is scamming people is ludicrous.  As silly as saying everyone who hates copy protection is a software pirate.
Everyone has the right to protect their work / their intellectual property in the manner that they see fit.  If you don't like that they choose to do so or how they chose to do so - then don't give them your business; there's a ton of alternate, good stuff out there that you can use.

>it is a fair assumption that you have never personally had an ilock dongle fail
iLok v1s yeah, those were way too bulky & fragile.   But not with the v2 or v3 though both had issues (if I recall correctly) initially.  My iLok v3 is all metal with a fairly small profile- more likely to rip the USB port out of my laptop than get broken.   But one day it will probably wear out, fail or somehow get busted.

Anything hardware can and at some point will fail and usually at the worse time.
I've seen every type of computer equipment fail, amps fail, mics die, console channels or  whole consoles have issues that made them unusable, soundboards smoke, speakers catch fire, even recording tape come apart during recording sessions (anyone remember the emulsion coming off Ampex 2" tape?).   Still I buy computers, use guitar amps and buy & use other gear.  If you've got the means you protect your self with back ups, alternate gear, etc.  otherwise you hope the gods will smile on you till you can.

Edited by TheSteven