Expontential Audio Phoenix Verb

cclarry

6 hours ago, simon said:

just connecting the dots to @Christian Jones post:

might be enough to push people over the cliff to hit the buy button ?

Yeah I'm definitely getting it. I've been stalling for a minute like I usually do before I make a decent purchase just to give myself a chance to come to my senses if necessary, or in this case find a better deal. I was actually gonna get O9A from Plugin Boutique @ $149 but then locrian mentioned a Winter2020 code from AudioDeluxe, so I went there and found the O9A deal plus this code which brought it to 132.98, so good thing I waited a second.

Btw, Vienna is also having a sale on a few things and finally the Baritone Saxophone library I've been wanting forever is on sale and this Winter2020 code works for that too so I'll be picking up that and O9A there. I believe the Ozone and Vienna deals are till the end of March. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/6/2020 at 12:35 PM, antler said:

I kinda wish iZotope would release a version of these so that they'd work without the iLok software (and just go through the iZotope portal). Mind you, it's giving me reason not to give into GAS. (I know - it doesn't require a dongle; i just don't want to install a driver-level copy-protection service)

For iZotope?

I have a lot of iZotope stuff, including this Cross Grade which I picked up months ago and none of it's on iLok, though it could be if I wanted it to, it's all serial # unlocks.  You can license either by serial# or by iLok or both - your choice.

10 hours ago, Brian Walton said:

Note this is only for one single authorization.

Puts this product on a short list of super lame authorization schemes right along side WAVES.

Assuming you're talking about iZotope on this as well, I've never been limited to a single installation.

https://support.izotope.com/hc/en-us/articles/360024955073-How-to-use-iZotope-Products-on-Multiple-Machines

According to our Single-User License agreement, we do allow users to install iZotope products on more than one machines as long as they are the only person using the software on these machines. So if you need to put your software on a desktop and a laptop you are allowed to do this. You would just end up using the same Serial Number to authorize each machine. 

Edited by TheSteven
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, TheSteven said:

For iZotope?

I have a lot of iZotope stuff, including this Cross Grade which I picked up months ago and none of it's on iLok, though it could be if I wanted it to, it's all serial # unlocks.  You can license either by serial# or by iLok or both - your choice.

Assuming you're talking about iZotope on this as well, I've never been limited to a single installation.

https://support.izotope.com/hc/en-us/articles/360024955073-How-to-use-iZotope-Products-on-Multiple-Machines

Isotope is very good about this, thus why I was shocked a product under the umbrella...the Phoenix verb only has one single install at a time.  

It is the only ilok software manager plug-in I have that only grants a single authorization.  

12 minutes ago, Brian Walton said:

It is the only ilok software manager plug-in I have that only grants a single authorization.

There are others though such as Xils Lab, Metric Halo and Zynaptiq.

It may be because their products originally required a dongle and the manufacturers have not bothered to change their activation policy after adding PC activation.

On 3/7/2020 at 12:09 PM, Christian Jones said:

Can't someone just get one of those little usb port extension things or whatever they're called that plug into a USB port and dangle there and provide a few more USB ports on it? The thing with that though is that everything that plugs in to those extension ports all ultimately share a single port and perhaps that can be problematic for some devices, but not everything I don't think. Like I currently have one of those little USB extensions that has about four extra USB ports dangling off of it and that's how I plug in my keyboard and mouse and occasionally my phone and camera, so those types of devices would probably be fine sharing a single USB port and you could conserve ports that way, as a dongle (and a real finicky midi device like the Korg Nanos) should probably be given its own dedicated USB port. 

Anyway @Matthew Sorrels makes a good point that I hate to have to think about lol but in my case anyway I'm being forced to buy a dongle to use this Vienna Baritone Saxophone library I'm picking up, so I'll have a dongle to back up all my other stuff. They cost like $30 too

Just double checking here. Is the Vienna dongle the same one? There are two. Syncrosoft used for Cubase and VSL products. iLok for most everything else.

9 minutes ago, Starise said:

Just double checking here. Is the Vienna dongle the same one? There are two. Syncrosoft used for Cubase and VSL products. iLok for most everything else.

iLok has their own dongle, now on v3.

With iLok (Pace) you have 3 options

1. iLok dongle - most recent software only supports v2 or greater
  2. specific PC activation
  3. iLok cloud - newest system and not all iLok protected software yet supports this.

Also it is up to the software company as to how many activations they support. Many only support one activation, but I have a couple that support 3.  Don't know what the upmost limit is.

Edited by TheSteven

Just didn't want @Christian Jones to think the dongle he needs for his Vienna sax will work with Phoenix ( or any other iLok product) Unless I misunderstand, he needs a different dongle for that for that sax which won't work for this.

I  recently bought the 2CAudio stuff- Precedence and Breeze. Breeze is one of the smoothest reverbs ever.  I use the Valhalla stuff a lot  for basic stuff....so I felt a little guilty for buying this, but that feeling went away fast. Thanks cclarry. Can't beat this one! Well maybe YOU can.

Edited by Starise
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Starise said:

Just didn't want @Christian Jones to think the dongle he needs for his Vienna sax will work with Phoenix ( or any other iLok product) Unless I misunderstand, he needs a different dongle for that for that sax which won't work for this.

Well that sucks. I'm having to score a Vienna key for that sax and I had thought maybe it could hold ilok stuff too but I guess Vienna hogs up a dongle all for themselves. Thanks for the heads up. Lame

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, scook said:

It may be because their products originally required a dongle and the manufacturers have not bothered to change their activation policy after adding PC activation.

I think I was aware of Metic Halo (what I tried was dramactially overpriced and not great)

Xils - I have  the computer music version of the modular synth and it thankfully doesnt' have that limitaiton.  

Zynapitq I'll just stay clear of.  😂

All 3 companies pricing structures suggest they are no "in tune" with the current music production environment.  All overpriced and limited liscencing.    (My opinion)

15 hours ago, TheSteven said:

For iZotope?

I've got some iZotope stuff too an love it. I was referring to how I can use the product portal to activate e.g. Ozone to my machine (without iLok), and that now Exponential Audio is part of the iZotope family, hopefully they would integrate it into the product portal so that I wouldn't need an iLok for e.g. Pheonix.

• Like 1
  • Great Idea 1

On 3/22/2020 at 10:38 AM, Brian Walton said:

Note this is only for one single authorization.

That said it does sound good.

Can verify both feelings of happiness and consternation.

Reverb is something I still don't have the best handle on, I'm not far past scrolling through the presets in the hope of finding one that sounds decent on my send bus.

Just the fact that Phoenix has jillions of great well-organized presets with descriptive names puts it miles ahead of anything else. For instance, the first professional sounding reverb I got was TrueVerb in a giveaway. Have always loved the way the algo sounds, but it comes with only about a dozen presets with the usual "Medium Hall," "Drum Room," "Cathedral" designations, a complicated interface, and a thick manual that reads like someone's master's thesis.

1 hour ago, DeeringAmps said:

What about the free stuff that came with it?

worth installing?

As a SoundSpot fan I can say that Nebula is absolutely worth installing if you're into messing with modulation. It's a creative tool, as in, when you play with it, you'll find things to do with it that you hadn't thought of. Plus it has the gorgeous SoundSpot UI.

MSW2....just got it so I can't say. MSW1 is not a go-to width manipulator for me, but they say that 2 does stereo-from-mono as well as being able to set a lowpass and then mono-izing below the lowpass, a-la Boz' Mongoose. And it has a display that shows you what's going on. And the newer SoundSpot UI look. In my quiver, it's up against the Boz/Joey Sturgis CM one, which is a hard act to follow.

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Starship Krupa said:

As a SoundSpot fan I can say that Nebula is absolutely worth installing if you're into messing with modulation. It's a creative tool, as in, when you play with it, you'll find things to do with it that you hadn't thought of. Plus it has the gorgeous SoundSpot UI.

MSW2....just got it so I can't say. MSW1 is not a go-to width manipulator for me, but they say that 2 does stereo-from-mono as well as being able to set a lowpass and then mono-izing below the lowpass, a-la Boz' Mongoose. And it has a display that shows you what's going on. And the newer SoundSpot UI look. In my quiver, it's up against the Boz/Joey Sturgis CM one, which is a hard act to follow.

+1 to everything

I"ve got mongoose and boz's pan knob.

plus the  Sidewidner CM plugin (and I'd also add in izotopes free Imager 2) and MSW2 just won't see any use from me.

Nebula on the other hand can be fun.  

• Thanks 1

BTW, Percolate, I'm sorry to say, is not even worthy of unZIPping. Absolute poo. I don't think they even list it on their website any more. It's the kind of plug-in that probably gave SoundSpot a poor reputation early in their history. Ho-hum processing in a needlessly obscure UI.

SoundSpot seem to be focusing more on the "hot producer" EDM market, which I think is a good idea for them. They have cool-looking UI's that inspire messing about, but when it comes to more straightforward "I need a warm-sounding compressor for this acoustic drum bus," or "let's put some EQ on the master bus," I haven't found as much use for their offerings.

And....ho-lee virtual space, does Phoenix sound amazing! I did a simple, quick A-B putting it into my reverb send bus with Oril River on a drum mix and the difference was spectacular. I just left Phoenix on its default preset, with similar levels and whatnot on Oril River. With Phoenix, my mix' image extended beyond the monitors both left and right and up and down and front and back. It was stunning, and at first of course I didn't trust myself, so I switched back and forth, checked the settings on Oril River....nope, pretty similar. Up to this point, I've loved Oril River.

It just slaughtered every reverb I've ever auditioned, instantly and decisively. Never heard anything like it. Of course, I am wary of FX that instantly make a mix sound like a million bucks, so I will revisit this phenomenon and see how it holds up, but for now it's the best $9 I've spent on a plug-in in quite some time. Also, the first reverb I've liked enough more than TrueVerb or OrilRiver to even pay for, and the descriptiveness and abundance of presets will help a great deal in guiding me to select the right one for the sonic space I'm trying to create.

Edited by Starship Krupa
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Great Idea 1

On 3/23/2020 at 3:42 PM, Brian Walton said:
On 3/23/2020 at 1:01 PM, scook said:

I think I was aware of Metic Halo (what I tried was dramactially overpriced and not great)

Xils - I have  the computer music version of the modular synth and it thankfully doesnt' have that limitaiton.  

Zynapitq I'll just stay clear of.  😂

All 3 companies pricing structures suggest they are no "in tune" with the current music production environment.  All overpriced and limited liscencing.    (My opinion)

I have Hollywood Strings and Brass silver editions and they are also only 1 authorization allowed (ilok local machine in my case, makes it even less versatile) which I find very lame unfortunately because I have a laptop and now another new desktop pc. Now this PhoenixVerb... mixed feelings.

Edited by chris.r