Migrate win10 system drive to new computer

So I have a fully updated win10 1909 system on a five year old ssd drive in an old i7 3900 that is failing. I want to migrate the current system to the new computer and new hard drive without losing my programs, settings, plugins, and Windows activation.

I would also settle for plugging the old drive into the new box.

Has anyone ever done this? Thanks.

7 minutes ago, David A Ludwig said:

So I have a fully updated win10 1909 system on a five year old ssd drive in an old i7 3900 that is failing. I want to migrate the current system to the new computer and new hard drive without losing my programs, settings, plugins, and Windows activation.

I would also settle for plugging the old drive into the new box.

Has anyone ever done this? Thanks.

I've used Windows 7 Backup and Restore in Windows 10 to move my system to different computers and new system drives. The Windows 7 Backup and Restore feature allows you to save a System Image of the C drive to an external drive, and create a disk to boot from when restoring the system image to a new drive. Any good backup program should allow you to do this. I used Windows 7 Backup because it's free and works fine. I used it a few months ago to migrate my system from a HDD to a new SSD with no problems.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/17127/windows-back-up-restore

I've done it many times, lately quite successfully. There are a couple of things to keep in mind.

Firstly, most likely it will just boot up after moving to the new motherboard, unless you're going from Intel to AMD or vice versa. If it doesn't, uninstalling all or most of the motherboard specific devices from Device Manager prior to the move will allow it to find all the new ones after.

Secondly, there are a few different scenarios in regards to the Windows Activation. Just make sure that the old system shows up associated with your Microsoft Account. Then in case it won't activate on the new system, you can jump through some hoops, tell them you upgraded hardware and MS will allow you to activate.

R

I moved Windows 7 Quad Core Q6600 (Intel) during an install of Windows 10 to a Ryzen 2600 (AMD) system.  Blown away by how seamless it was - all AMD drivers loaded, no Intel ones hanging around.  If you do the swap at the right time in the install, it's really, really good.