Gilmour's Guitar auction

Hidden Symmetry

9 minutes ago, Hidden Symmetry said:

I'm thinking the same, I expect it & the others to fetch much more, especially the Martin.

I'm expecting the extimates to be close to the opening bids on the Black Strat.  

The Martin I would also think will do better than the estimate, but it isn't as immediatly identifable with him, and in and of itself isn't like it is a pre-war Martin, so the value derived from it is stricly tied to the man himself and the history there.  

Edited by Brian Walton

I noticed that the picture of him using the 'Balck Strat' is not the 'Black Strat.' The one in his hands (in the pic) has an rosewood fret board. Anyone notice this?

37 minutes ago, synkrotron said:

It is highly likely that peeps who buy DG's guitars will not even play them...

Totally agree. I mean they may pick it up and stum it a few times to say they 'played DG guitar' but not much more than that.

I am a guitar 'collector' in that I buy what I want, and don't sell it. I also use it. It's why I bought it. The people who buy these guitars are the real deal 'Collectors' in that is will sit somewhere hoping to increase in value.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Grem said:

I noticed that the picture of him using the 'Balck Strat' is not the 'Black Strat.' The one in his hands (in the pic) has an rosewood fret board. Anyone notice this?

Totally agree. I mean they may pick it up and stum it a few times to say they 'played DG guitar' but not much more than that.

I am a guitar 'collector' in that I buy what I want, and don't sell it. I also use it. It's why I bought it. The people who buy these guitars are the real deal 'Collectors' in that is will sit somewhere hoping to increase in value.

I've got a wealthy non-guitarist friend who's been a huge Floyd fan since the early 70's.  Apparently he's seriously considering putting in a bid.  If he wins, i think i'll be at his house more often!

• Great Idea 1

• 4 months later...
On 1/31/2019 at 8:58 AM, Slugbaby said:

I've got a wealthy non-guitarist friend who's been a huge Floyd fan since the early 70's.  Apparently he's seriously considering putting in a bid.  If he wins, i think i'll be at his house more often!

Curious how your friend made out with the bidding!

https://www.christies.com/features/David-Gilmour-Collection-auction-results-9974-3.aspx

lol, nope.    

I'm rethinking the friendship.  :P

An unbelievable response though - $21.5 million US for the 127-instrument auction, with almost $4million for the black strat...

Edited by Slugbaby

OK, here's some Floyd personal trivia for you...

I grew up in the San Fernando Valley where there's a high percentage of folks in the entertainment biz. One of my friends from school's dad was William Bell of Bell records. The label the Partridge Family recorded on.

Remember the big complaint about how industry people always got the best concert seats and how unfair that was? Well, William was one of those dudes and he scored my friends and I section 1, seat 1, etc. in the risers for one of only two original venue performances for the Wall concert (LA & NY)! If you understand the concert theme, at some point of the concert, your view of the stage may be obstructed by the developing construction of the wall. What my friends and I did was sit in the floor seats in the empty ones. Then, when the seat owner came, we moved to a new seat. Once all the seats were taken, we went back to our own seats and booted the people out that were sitting there.

We ended up seeing the concert from multiple, awesome perspectives, and yes, it was one of the best concerts I've ever seen. We spent weeks listening to the album in preparation. It was amazing!

Sad note. I gave my concert program to a friend to design a silkscreen master and never got it back! But the memories are still there!

• Like 1

Great story, must've been nice seeing it from those different perspectives especially at those performances. I was a huge Floyd fan starting around Meddle, one my favorite concerts was from the DSOTM tour at Olympia Stadium in '73.

It was in quad, the stage show amazing & they performed one of the greatest albums of all time. It sounded fantastic although Olympia Stadium wasn't very good acoustically.

https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/pink-floyd/1973/olympia-stadium-detroit-mi-73d702e9.html

Edited by Hidden Symmetry
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Kenny Wilson said:

Wow those numbers are inspiring .

Anybody here want to buy one of my Strats ? 

I will give you a good deal ..I would be happy to get a half a million 🤣

Kenny

Is that offer in Lira? 😆

(Which equates to about $294 USD!)

• Haha 1

21 hours ago, Kenny Wilson said:

Wow those numbers are inspiring .

Anybody here want to buy one of my Strats ? 

I will give you a good deal ..I would be happy to get a half a million 🤣

Kenny

14 hours ago, craigb said:

Is that offer in Lira? 😆

(Which equates to about $294 USD!)

That's probably all my Strat is worth anyway   🤣 .... Hey , I also take Fred Meyer coupons .

Kenny