Focusrite BSOD after latest update today Mar 3

I last used Cakewalk last month and it worked as solid as it did for the past year. Today, I opened CW, was prompted to update, which I did. The first time I opened CW, I got a message that I had no midi devices. I closed out and reseated the power and midi cable from my Alesis Q49 controller. Restarted CW and the controller was listed and checked off in the midi preferences. Still no sound, despite me inserting an instrument track, arming, echo enabled. Nothing at all.  Clicking on the vst interface keys, I heard sound but still no midi.

Suddenly a BSOD:

Stop Code: System Service Error

What failed: FocusriteUSBSwRoot.sys

After it re-started, opened cakewalk and got an error that my default audio device was missing (focusrite) and to click to remove it. I clicked no. Focusrite was still in the preferences. Tried to use CW and another BSOD.

After it restarted, I uninstalled all focusrite software and download again.  Everything plays fine, YouTube, Sound Forge, etc but as soon as I open Cakewalk, I get the BSOD. It happened a few times since. Could this CW update have caused this issue with my Focusrite Scarlett 1820 2nd Gen? 

UPDATE: Being as impatient as I am, I uninstalled Bandlab Asst, Cakewalk, Focusrite and re-started with none of them. Re-installed both and I am getting BSOD in YouTube so it probably isn't a CW issue. I opened a ticket with Focusrite to see what they suggest,

Edited by TVR PRODUCTIONS

I had this problem (same message) some time ago after I installed drivers v 3.4 (and for that matter v3.4.4). After contacting the company they told me to roll back to v2.4.5 which I did, no problems. I never heard from them again.......

I also have a second gen 18i20

Now, albeit since end January,  the "new" driver software (for me) on the Focusrite website  is v3.5 and installing this has done the trick for my setup.

However, the one thing I did do after installation (and this could possible cause your BSOD ? ) was to make sure that the sample rate for the unit was set to 44.1mHz via the Focusrite software BEFORE opening Cakewalk (that's what I use for my projects). By default it goes to 48mHz

For midi I always go direct into my PC via USB and use soft-synths within Cakewalk.  No problems noted using a class compliant Oxygen 61 version IV.

Hope you get it sorted, my set up now appears to be stable.

Cheers,

J

Wel, since it has been a few days since I opened a ticket with Focusrite, I gave up and blew away the entire machine, as stable as it has been for a couple of years. I installed a fresh WIndows 10. DId all the tweaks for DAWS. Downloaded Focusrite first. Then Cakewalk. I want to record 96 bit, so I made the focusrite 96 and Cakewalk 96/24. As soon as I checked off the 64 bit option in one of the audio preferences, paused and there was my Blue Screen. Same error. I couldnt believe it.  THere is nothing on this computer other than those two appications. No AV, Nothing. It shouldnt crash at this point. My guess is that the focusrite and cakewalk settings must be identitical from the get go.  You mentioned 44.1 but I do not want to use that anymore.  So, tonight, I will open Focusrite, change to 96/24 then open Cakewalk and change to 96. Does that sound like it should work?  Thanks for the reply BTW.