Save, Save As, Save as Copy

chamlin

Save - save the project in the current location with the current name

Save As - save the project in the current location with a new name or in a new location with or without a name change. Closes current project and loads new project.

Save As Copy - same as Save As except does not close the current project or load new project.

For more info see http://www.cakewalk.com/Documentation?product=Cakewalk&language=3&help=Recording.38.html

3 minutes ago, scook said:

Save - save the project in the current location with the current name

Save As - save the project in the current location with a new name or in a new location with or without a name change. Closes current project and loads new project.

Save As Copy - same as Save As except does not close the current project or load new project.

For more info see http://www.cakewalk.com/Documentation?product=Cakewalk&language=3&help=Recording.38.html

Thanks, scook! In each option, are all of the wav files, clips, etc. copied with it?

And if I what I really want to do is take a project with all of its settings but not have any or all of the recorded files come along with it, what's the best way to do that?

Save does not move anything. It just saves the current project file in the current location.

Save As and Save As Copy can copy project clips if "Copy all audio with project" is checked in the dialog.

If you just want to create a new copy of the project file but use the same audio folder use Save As or Save As Copy, give the project a new name and deselect "Copy all audio with project."

Okay, do I have this right? If I:

1. Delete all my clips and zero out all my tracks
  2. Save As
  3. Unselect "copy all audio with project"
  4. Give the project a new name, e.g., "Scook's Greatest Hits"

then I will have created a clean "template" of sorts established. Yes?

I did not know that was the purpose of the exercise.

Here is the process I might to make what I call a seed project (something akin to a project template except fully configured project with plug-ins only, no automation, no audio clips, no MIDI clips)

1. Save As to a new location with "Copy all audio with project" deselected
  2. Select all tracks - from the track view tracks menu Wipe Tracks to clear all track data and automation
  3. Select all buses - from the track view track menu Wipe Tracks to clear all bus automation

That said, I usually create seed projects by first creating track templates for the elements that I plan on adding to the seed project, then create the project from those templates. This way I have both an empty project that I can use instead of a project template and also have the tracks as templates too when I want to add them to other projects or rebuild the seed project.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, scook said:

Save does not move anything. It just saves the current project file in the current location.

Save As and Save As Copy can copy project clips if "Copy all audio with project" is checked in the dialog.

If you just want to create a new copy of the project file but use the same audio folder use Save As or Save As Copy, give the project a new name and deselect "Copy all audio with project."

Could you also save the project as a Project Template, to save all of the settings and tempo/meter changes, plus all tracks and buses, without any track data?

Bob Bone