Preferences: File -- Folder Locations

chamlin

As I prepare to move to my new PC, I'm revisiting my folder location preferences and am looking for best practices. Here's what I've been using:

1. Project Files are set to my S: drive which is an SSD solely dedicated to my working project files.
  2. Wave Files are also set to my S: drive. What is this for? In Cakewalk I have my .wav files all directed to reside in each project folder's location.
  3. All of my other folder locations appear to be defaults residing on my C drive (SSD).

A.  Suggestions? Input?

For #2 from http://www.cakewalk.com/Documentation?product=Cakewalk&language=3&help=0x201D9

These files are the standard Windows audio files that you can import into and export out of Cakewalk. They have the file extension .wav. The default directory for wave files is the \Sample Content folder located in:

C:\ProgramData\Cakewalk\Cakewalk Core

I use drag and drop from either Windows Explorer or the media browser for import so I set the Wave folder to  my export path.

I do not set the project folder in preferences. I prefer to use a directory junction instead.

If you change the folder in preferences make sure to change the Global Audio Folder to a folder in the new project folder path. I have not tested in some time but the Global folder used to hold temporary files that get copied into the project audio folder. This could take quite a lot of time if the files were large and the global and project audio folders were on different drives.

I also move the picture cache off the system drive and put it on another drive other than the project drive. Probably not as big a deal if projects and cache are on the same SSD though.

I use a custom location for project templates. This prevents CbB updates from overwriting the templates. CbB only writes to factory default folders.

Yes, I see. I do have my Global Audio Data

S:\Cakewalk Projects\Audio Data set to the same drive as my projects, so that's good. And, I see 1,311 files totaling 23 GB in that folder. I guess I can verify that those files are actually in the project's audio folders and then clear out the 23 GB. Yes?