Some vsts don't show up in cakewalk

I just installed the v1.31 64bit Safe plug-ins from http://www.semanticaudio.co.uk/projects/download/

They scan and load OK in CbB.

What is the complete path to the Safe plug-in dlls on your PC?

When you wrote "cakewalk scans them" how do you know? Did you create a scan log?

If using the default "Sort by Category" the Safe plug-ins are in the Uncategorized folder.

Make sure to enable "Generate Scan Log" and run a VST Reset (the button to the right of Scan in VST Preferences). While in preferences make sure "C:\Program Files\Steinberg\Vst plugins" is in the scan path. Also verify the path, especially the space in "Vst plugins" (it probably does not have a space) and use backslashes instead of slashes like old school Windows. And don't forget the colon (:) between the drive letter and the first backslash.

If the path is not correct in VST preferences then that is all the needs to be fixed. A regular scan should pick up the plug-ins, otherwise; run the Reset with log.

If the plug-ins do not show up in the Uncategorized folder check the scan log,

• Like 1

I just installed these [Manual Scan/Reset from Preferences]. At first I didn't see them.  Then I looked at my layouts.  I was using the one called 2019-10-19 ALL.   So I changed the layout to "Sort by Category" and typed "sa" [for "SAFE*] in the Audio FX Search box.  They showed up. 

Maybe this will help.

image.png.f126dcdc3e742d0e6abc19a4740f06b6.png image.png.a6938d719ebcbd1b51a54da736e4b390.png

Edited by User 905133
to make the images smaller

• 2 years later...

I'm experiencing the same problem: all VSTs are found by Cakewalk, I can see them listed in the Plugin Manager, but I can only find/use a few of them in the "Add Instrument" menu.

I just did a reset, followed by a scan. I am attaching the logs and would be very grateful if anyone would have the time to have a look to see what's going wrong.

Thank you.

VstScan.log VstScanSandbox.log

59 minutes ago, Cactus Music said:

You should always start a new thread it’s confusing to high jacks old threads 

I generally agree when new posters have idiosyncratic issues that require unique debugging solutions. That being said, in this case the steps in the thread are relevant. So, if a new poster tries looking in the forum for a similar issue, I think that is to be commended, esp.  when there are so many others who don't even bother to look for a solution. 

While it might be helpful if in a new thread the new poster started with a link to this thread, it is clear that the new poster read and followed specific suggestions and reported on the results.

It would have helped if the OP had reported back and if successful had written SOLVED in the topic.

I only have experience with reading my own vstscan logs and only to a very limited extent, so I defer to others with more experience.  I have no idea if the following issues are problematic:

• "VSTSCAN: Finished analyzing VST plugins - 98 of 115 VST plugins were scanned in this run"
  • VSTSCAN: ---- Loading VST plugin c:\program files\Cakewalk\vstplugins\UVIWorkstation.vst3 ----
    hPlugin is NULL, plugin failed to load with error 5, Access is denied.

I think it would help either this thread or a new problem-solving thread to have the list of debugging steps mentioned added to.

Hey Scook, I know this thread is at least a couple of years old but I was having problems with a NI vst soft synth not showing up and read your answer, followed your advice and voila, it showed up. Wow. I struggled with this for hours and after reading your advice got it working a minute or two. Thank you very much. I've always had issues with software co.'s that think that users need to go to a forum to get advice/instructions on fixing problems/issues. Not complaining about Cakewalk as it's free. It's not like I spent hundreds of $ on it. This time though I'm so glad I decided to come to this forum. Thank you once again. 2 thumbs up.

On 9/28/2022 at 5:46 PM, User 905133 said:

VSTSCAN: ---- Loading VST plugin c:\program files\Cakewalk\vstplugins\UVIWorkstation.vst3 ----
hPlugin is NULL, plugin failed to load with error 5, Access is denied.

clearly a permissions issue (it's under the program files hive)  BUT vst3 should be in "C:\Program Files\Common Files\VST3" folder hive @jeroen stevens you can try moving the .vst3 file, or reinstalling might sort it out

/good luck

Hi pwalpwal,

Thanks for your help! The funny thing is that the UVI Workstation is one of the few vsts that DOES already work :).

I was wondering if doing a "hard uninstall" (?) would be my best option, just reinstall Cakewalk and the plugins one by one (they used to work on my old computer) - but am slightly scared to do so.