How to adjust volume of one drum on a track [SOLVED]

tdehan

Question

I could have sworn I saw the answer to this question before but for the life of me can't seem to find it.

Question:  I want to increase the volume of the bass kick drum only (CH 10) in the drum track of my midi file.  I want all the other drums on the track to stay the same.  I assume this is possible?

Thanks so much

Edited by tdehan

5 answers to this question

It is possible to individually change the velocity of MIDI notes in a track but volume (CC7) affects the whole track.

There are a variety of ways to adjust a selection of MIDI notes. Here are a couple of links

Most drum plug-ins have a way to adjust the volume of individual kit pieces too.

4 minutes ago, tdehan said:

I could have sworn I saw the answer to this question before but for the life of me can't seem to find it.

Question:  I want to increase the volume of the bass kick drum only (CH 10) in the drum track of my midi file.  I want all the other drums on the track to stay the same.  I assume this is possible?

Thanks so much

Here's how I would do that. Open the MIDI track in the PRV. Click the note on the left side of the screen to select all the notes of that pitch. At the Top go to Process/Scale Velocity. Select Percentages and then enter the percentage you want the notes to change by. Selecting 110% will make all the notes 10% louder.

Another method is to again select all the notes using the PRV and then click and drag the top of a velocity controller for one of the notes. This will change the velocity of all the selected notes.

2 hours ago, tdehan said:

Does this mean that only the bass kick drum is on MIDI channel 10 and all other drum sounds are in the same track, possibly going to the same instrument but on different MIDI channels?** 

Or, is it an entire drum track with many different drums on (or forced to) MIDI channel 10?

**For example, if you have a synth (or a synth preset/patch) where each drum sample / multisample is assigned to its own unique MIDI channel and a multi-channel track goes to a multi-timbral synth, perhaps you could use a CC (7-volume or 11-expression seem likely choices if the synth responds to them) just on MIDI Channel 10--assuming you have midi headroom to do so.  If the all the drums are set to 100, it would seem you should have some midi headroom to bump up just channel  10 with the bass drum. 

Just another option in addition to the others, depending on your midi data.

So, I am now back again with this question.  I never got it to work prior so I just redid the MIDI track.  However, now I would like to reduce the volume of just the Snare drum in a drum track.  I select the drum number on the left hand side in PRV and it selects the snare only.  I then play with the VEL on the left hand side which is currently set to 100%.  No matter what I reduce that percentage to there is no difference in the volumne of the Snare drum.  What am I missing?

Thanks

UPDATE:  Nevermind... I figured it out.

Edited by tdehan

Sounds like you are playing with the Velocity control in the Arpeggiator section of the Track Inspector.

What you want to do is hover your mouse near the top of one of the selected notes until you see the velocity ajdustment tool (looks like a miniature histogram) and drag down with that. To better see what you are doing, I recommend you show the Controller Pane in the PRV which will display velocity 'tails' by default. You can also drag the 'tail' of one of the selected notes in that pane to adjust them all.

Another option probably referenced in Scook's earlier post is to go to the Event Inspector in the Control Bar, and enter a percentage in the Velocity field (e.g.  '75%' to reduce all velocities by 25%). Note that if you enter just 75 with no % sign, you will set them all to Vel=75.

Then there's Edit > Find/Change...

Lots of ways to skin this cat.

Edited by David Baay