M-Audio Oxygen 25 not recognized by Cakewalk

Vasco Patrício

Question

Hi everyone,

I'm trying to set up a USB MIDI Controller to work with Cakewalk.

This is my third attempt to have a MIDI keyboard recognized by Cakewalk.

First attempt was connecting a Yamaha NP-25 through MIDI input on the audio interface. It didn't work with any software. Maybe there was a problem with the keyboard or the MIDI interface.

Second attempt was a Nektar USB MIDI keyboard. It didn't work with Cakewalk by BandLab. It was recognized by Cakewalk Sonar though. I convinced the seller there was a compability issue with the latest Cakewalk verison and he took it back.

Third and current attempt is a recently bought M-Audio Oxygen 25 USB MIDI controller. Same behaviour as with the previous one. It is recognized by Cakewlak Sonar but not by Cakewalk by BandLab.

It appears on the Preferences >> MIDI >> Devices list, I select it as input but no key strokes are recognized.

Since Sonar does not work with my audio interface (Behringer) I have to work with Cakewalk latest version (which does work well with the audio interface).

At this point, and after searching online for known issues with this MIDI keyboard (which I found none; it appears to be the most compatible MIDI keyboard on the market), I have to ask for your help before I'm forced to switch to another DAW, which I'd hate to.

Am I missing something?

Thanks in advance.

Vasco

PS: Windows 10, Cakewalk by BandLab, M-Audio Oxygen 25 and Behringer UMC404HD (I think the Audio interface info is not relevant for this issue).

14 answers to this question

1 hour ago, Vasco Patrício said:

Third and current attempt is a recently bought M-Audio Oxygen 25 USB MIDI controller. Same behaviour as with the previous one. It is recognized by Cakewlak Sonar but not by Cakewalk by BandLab.

It appears on the Preferences >> MIDI >> Devices list, I select it as input but no key strokes are recognized.

Let me see if I understand:

(1) The M-Audio Oxygen controller shows up under Preferences > MIDI > Devices > Inputs and you have it checked.

(2) If you (a) insert a midi track, (b) make sure the either the controller or all midi inputs are selected as your midi input, and (c)  turn midi echo on, the track virtual leds do not light up when you press notes (or turn knobs) on the controller.

image.png.cc61870145cbac46270edaa9bc77963e.png

(3) And, if you insert a midi instrument and play notes, you don't get sound?

image.png.e49b0d242d27a48e6ff222de02b9ec6a.png

BTW, for testing audio flow issues, I like TTS-1 because I can press the riff sample buttons at the bottom to test the audio independently from the midi.

I am just asking for clarification here to try to figure out what works and what doesn't. 

Edited by User 905133
to fix typos

Other things to test (when you get home) if you didn't do so already:

(4) If you drop a standard midi file or a midi loop/clip into the TTS-1 Instrument track, does that play?

(5) Do the Virtual Controllers trigger notes?

Long shot diagnostics:

(6) Have you tried transmitting on a variety of midi channels from the controller, and if so, do any of them trigger sounds?

(7) If you record on the track, does midi data get recorded even if there's no sound?

Thanks for your suport.

I confirm point 1), 2) and 3)

I will check point 2.c) tonight just to make sure, maybe I forgot to "turn midi echo on".

But this has been going on for several days, I'm pretty sure I tried both midi echo on and off, but I'll check again tonight as soon as I get home and  I'll update this thread.

Edited by Vasco Patrício
  • Like 1

27 minutes ago, User 905133 said:

BTW, for testing audio flow issues, I like TTS-1 because I can press the riff sample buttons at the bottom to test the audio independently from the midi.

Yes, I also used TTS-1 for testing.

Pressing the keys on the GUI works, pressing them on the physical keyboard doesn't.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, DocBob said:

Use the ASIO driver

When I did, it solved the MIDI latency issue but caused by audio interface to stop working (it started using the PC speakers instead).

I switched it back to MME-32 and everything was working (no MIDI latency).

I hate it when I don't understand what happened, but fact is everything is working now! :)

Thanks all,

VP

I have exactly the same problem with the same gear (not the audio interface, but Win10, Oxygen 25). No MIDI being received from the Oxy25 on my MIDI channel, but the virtual controller is received and triggers drum sounds. I have MIDI input set to All Inputs, the Oxy25 is selected as a MIDI input device in Preferences. My problem is exactly like Vasco's (it seems) - except that Input Echo doesn't seem to change anything whether on or off. 

I'm going to go through all checks and steps above again, but wanted to poke this thread since my problem is so similar. 

[edit]: I see reference to "midi echo" and to "input echo" in this thread; are they the same? I've double-checked everything above with no success, and I've turned Input Echo on and off, but I do not find a MIDI Echo. 

[2nd edit]: well, it's working now, though I know not why. Just for the joy of abstract knowledge: while fiddling around in Preferences, I added an ACT MIDI controller from the Oxygen 25 in port and suddenly all notes and controllers started being recognized by the MIDI track. Soooooo, I'm now good, but I'm going to leave this comment here for posterity. 

Edited by Robert Leahey

10 hours ago, Robert Leahey said:

I see reference to "midi echo" and to "input echo" in this thread; are they the same? I've double-checked everything above with no success, and I've turned Input Echo on and off, but I do not find a MIDI Echo. 

I confess--I used "midi echo."  See below (emphasis added) ;

On 3/3/2020 at 11:15 AM, User 905133 said:

Let me see if I understand:

(1) The M-Audio Oxygen controller shows up under Preferences > MIDI > Devices > Inputs and you have it checked.

(2) If you (a) insert a midi track, (b) make sure the either the controller or all midi inputs are selected as your midi input, and (c)  turn midi echo on, the track virtual leds do not light up when you press notes (or turn knobs) on the controller.

image.png.cc61870145cbac46270edaa9bc77963e.png

(3) And, if you insert a midi instrument and play notes, you don't get sound?

image.png.e49b0d242d27a48e6ff222de02b9ec6a.png

I am just asking for clarification here to try to figure out what works and what doesn't. 

You will see immediately below (2) there is a virtual button I labeled "echo on." I got started before DAWs. We had sequencers that only did midi, not audio.  So I called it "midi echo." For me turning on that virtual button echoes the input from my midi controller to either external gear or software synths via midi.

ADDENDUM: If you search the Reference Guide for "midi echo" you will find many references, including this:

image.thumb.png.a9dfc0c00287fd3a63ebd9cba41dc2ae.png

Edited by User 905133
(2) to make the Reference Guide image smaller because it was too huge; (1) to add an addendum after I looked up "midi input" in the Reference Guide

On 6/13/2020 at 6:59 AM, User 905133 said:

I confess--I used "midi echo."  See below (emphasis added) ;

Thank you for the clarification. I'm sad to say that my woes are back. In a continuation of my post above, regardless of the state of my Echo buttons, I am not getting MIDI input from my Oxy25 even though it appears in MIDI/Devices in Preferences (and is selected). I can use the Virtual Controller just fine, and I can hear the output. 
But from my Oxy25 I get nothing even when I try the odd action that seemed to resolve this earlier (adding an ACT control surface for the Oxygen). I have the input for the MIDI track correctly setup.

Very frustrated. I just want to lay down some tracks with my little, portable USB MIDI keyboard. 

Hi Robert.  Have you had any success solving this?  I’m in a similar situation with the NI Komplete Kontrol M32, and I was ready to toss it in the trash can and get the m-Audio Oxy25 until I saw you are having the same problem with your rig.  

Thanks. 
Donnie