Drivers home vs away

jkoseattle

Question

I have my laptop pluggd into a USB Dock which connects it to my external audio interface (Focusrite 212). It works great. However, I also need to do work away from the dock, so I installed ASIO4All and use the onboard audio since I'm not plugged into the dock when away. Yesterday for the first time I went out and made sure I could get CbB working and all, and everything is good with the ASIO4All. Now I'm plugged back into the dock, but Cakewalk does not know to re-connect to the focusrite. I switched drivers, and after one crash dump and re-start of CbB, it's now working again. Am I going to have to manually switch out the drivers every time I switch between home vs away? Is there some way to quickly switch between driver modes or something? The same question goes for the Midi actually, as I also have to do this with the Midi devices in/out as I'm plugged into my piano at home and not when out. Thanks!

4 answers to this question

ASIO4ALL is not something you should have installed next to factory drivers (Focusrite ASIO drivers). This has been a known issue for years.

I would consider uninstalling it and only installing it when you need it. other wise look for a better solution like WASAPI.

Oh really, ok. I can uninstall that and use something else when away from home. 

OK, uninstalled, and I choose WASAPI (Exclusive) for the driver mode. Opening a project though just plays garbage. There's audio, but it's garbled. Also won't play over AirPods. Rebooted machine,  now I get this error upon starting:

image.png.f427fa80dae83aa9ef7b69649a654cc8.png

So it sounds like you are not tied to the dock per se, but rather to the audio interface that you are not able to  travel with. Otherwise the obvious solution is to install the Focusrite ASIO drivers to the laptop and use the audio interface connected to the laptop directly. The issue is complicated by your apparent need to use Airpods instead of wired headphones, and the necessity of using the onboard audio chipset because you have no other interface attached to your laptop. Unless you are using your laptop while riding a bicycle, you might be better off trying to re-think a way to get your audio interface and headphones connected.

The whole idea here is to be able to work away from the Focusrite sometimes. When I'm at my studio, I want to plug into the Focusrite and use wired headphones. But sometimes I need to work away from the studio, at which point I won't have the Focusrite (or a piano keyboard) and am happy to use whatever other driver I can. (I don't need to use AirPods, I can use wired headphones when away, just thought it would be another data point for troubleshooting.)