Toontrack Announcement!

cclarry

^^^ I kind of agree with this but this difference with most subscription type services is that TT are offering loads and loads of expansion that only work in SD3.

In many ways SD3 is the gateway drug to the expansions.  Other companies even offer the "player" for free to hook you in.   Obviously just my opinion (!) but just seems like a bad way to build a business.  People who own SD2 are exactly the same people who are invested in the infrastructure - why p*ss them off ?

1 hour ago, Grem said:

Why would they do that? It makes no sense! What does it matter when you upgrade? Today? Tomorrow? Next month? What if you ain't got the jack right now? Things are tight?

The thing with SD3 is that the install is so big that at the time I couldn't have installed it on my pc if I had wanted to because of not enough HD space to take it. So then I would be looking at buying/installing a new HD too, as a minimum, just to get an upgrade because they placed some arbitrary date on when I have to upgrade by. Their loss. I'm sure SD3 is great and all, but in truth it's probably a little OTT for my needs anyway, so I haven't exactly lost any sleep over it, but it just seems mad to actively set out to alienate any potential customers not only for SD3  but also other their other products as due to this kind of behaviour I wouldn't buy anything else at all from them now.

Edited by paulo

1 hour ago, DeeringAmps said:

what's at work here is for SD3 to work properly, they had to abandon SD2?

This makes sense and I would agree with them. Support in a legacy product is very costly.

But to just cut off all owners of SD2 because you didn't upgrade when we wanted/told ya to is what baffles me! That goes against any business practices I've ever heard of!! Maybe: If you don't upgrade in this time period, you won't get as good a deal. The upgrade price goes up after this date. But to tell people (loyal customers I might add, that helped you finance the new version) you don't get any upgrade price just because you didn't do it in a certain time frame?

[edit] Just to be quite honest here, I love EZD 2, EZ Keys, and am looking forward to EZ Bass!! 

Edited by Grem
  • Like 2

How is that any different from, say, Microsoft ending updates for Win7? You don't upgrade? Support stops after awhile.

Does Bandlab continue to update SONAR Platinum? No. Now it's CbB.

Companies offer deals. For a limited time. Miss the time. Miss the deal.

I uninstalled SD2 after getting SD3 up and running. Yet the TT Product Manager keeps offering to reinstall it along side SD3, so they'll let me run it in parallel if I choose.

It's now available at pluginboutique for those who don't have the strength of character to boycott the company because of their shoddy business practise (like me :( )  Works out slightly cheaper than timespace/bestservice for us UK based people. plus you get rewards/cashback   They are a bit slow in issuing licence codes so might not get them until tomorrow.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, simon said:

It's now available at pluginboutique for those who don't have the strength of character to boycott the company because of their shoddy business practise (like me :( )  Works out slightly cheaper than timespace/bestservice for us UK based people. plus you get rewards/cashback   They are a bit slow in issuing licence codes so might not get them until tomorrow.

https://www.pluginboutique.com/products/6184

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

...plus you get the soundspot bundle from PB :)

just in case you had some spare hard disk space that you don't mind wasting on a some slightly second rate plugins that you don't need and that you will install just because they are free...open them once to test, then never ever use them again (like I do  :) )

• Like 1
  • Great Idea 1

Are there ever any decent deals for SD3? I need some good metal drum kits but 380 euros is... painful, and in addition to that I will probably need to buy one or two expansions to get the sounds I want. 😓

Also, is this an intro price or the final price for Hansa?

15 minutes ago, Pseudopop said:

Are there ever any decent deals for SD3? I need some good metal drum kits but 380 euros is... painful, and in addition to that I will probably need to buy one or two expansions to get the sounds I want. 😓

Also, is this an intro price or the final price for Hansa?

there are occasional deals on SD3 and occasional deals on SDX  packs - normally the older stuff.   This is the standard price so you'd be safe waiting a while if you need to.

• Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, simon said:

there are occasional deals on SD3 and occasional deals on SDX  packs - normally the older stuff.   This is the standard price so you'd be safe waiting a while if you need to.

Thank you for the info, Simon. I can be very patient when I need to and I don't have an immediate need for SD3 so I'll just play the waiting game, then.

Although TT upgrade policy is indeed controversial, I must admit I agree with both yea- and naysayers and here is why.

If I were a software product developer and some loyal customers would want to buy a new product from me at a discounted price I would so any day. Because:

1. The person already uses my product(s), likes it (them) and is ready to buy more.

2. It's better to have a little less money now and some money in the future (by selling extensions) than to have none now and loose customers to competitors in the future.

So restricting existing users from buying new products at a discounted price is hardly a common sense. However, there might be other behind the scenes restrictions, like country laws, union regulations, contracts with studios and/or producers involved in the process of making the product that explicitly restrict the company from allowing discounts outside certain terms, like a short period of time and/or a set percentage.

I personally refuse to believe that people behind such an excellent product as Superior Drummer are dumb as hell to push away their loyal customers. Noway! They are not merely entitled to do as they wish, but obviously do have good reasons to do so.

I upgraded SD2 to SD3 as soon as it was released and had zero regrets since then. I can see why people are not happy about SD3 upgrade offers. I'd feel the same.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Soundwise said:

I personally refuse to believe that people behind such an excellent product as Superior Drummer are dumb as hell to push away their loyal customers.

Kinda agree with ya on that. But the fact is, that's what they did.

You make some valid points with the restrictions out of their control, but surely TT would have/should have thought about that before they signed up with those restrictions.

IDK, something just ain't adding up!

But the fact remains, they removed any upgrade path for loyal users.

• Like 1