Toontrack Announcement!

cclarry

They are the only dev I can think of that hold a gun to their own head and threatens to pull the trigger on a certain date. But, the upgrade dealy has never come in to play for me because I bought the thing long before it came into play.

I also wasn't too happy with the upgrade price and deadline and waited until the last moment. Since I already invested in a number of SDXs for v2 I felt it was in my best interest to just do it. No regrets.

At least they don't try to get you to upgrade every year with the "newest and greatest" version so I think it all works out in the end. Doing fine with Avatar, NY Vol 2 and 3,  Metal Foundry, and the base v3 kits. Really wanted the Orchestral Percussion SDX but have so far dismissed it because of it's price. Besides, a good way to augment virtual drums is to lay real percussion tracks with it.

Edited by rcklln

7 hours ago, cclarry said:

I'm sure this is one of the reasons that they kind of "Forcing"
the upgrade...because the new, improved, format is not backwards compatible.

I have no problem with them saying that new stuff only works with the new version so you have to have that first or you can't use it, but telling me that unless I buy it now I will no longer be recognised as an existing customer beyond that date is just indefensible IMO. 

6 minutes ago, paulo said:

I have no problem with them saying that new stuff only works with the new version so you have to have that first or you can't use it, but telling me that unless I buy it now I will no longer be recognised as an existing customer beyond that date is just indefensible IMO. 

what happened there - I've been with TT since dkhs and never had that ?

53 minutes ago, paulo said:

but telling me that unless I buy it now I will no longer be recognised as an existing customer beyond that date is just indefensible IMO. 

46 minutes ago, simon said:

I didn't hear about this either. I am not a SD user. Just a lowly EZD user. I could understand them wanting to cut-off users of the old version from support network. But saying you are no longer a customer? That is a little far.

50 minutes ago, paulo said:

I agree...that's not good business...

43 minutes ago, simon said:

They have officially cut off upgrades to SD3 from SD2 and before...

• Sad 1

2 minutes ago, cclarry said:

I agree...that's not good business...

ahh - that's not great 

fortunately I've got a twitchy trigger finger but I would be really annoyed considering how much of my money they had.    It's seems bit odd too - why not encourage people onto the new platform so they can continue to buy the latest packs.   As you say, bad business.

• Like 1
  • Great Idea 1

3 minutes ago, cclarry said:

Why would they do that? It makes no sense! What does it matter when you upgrade? Today? Tomorrow? Next month? What if you ain't got the jack right now? Things are tight?

So TT has said "If ya don't give me your money now, I don't want your money ever!" Who's running that company? A f'n idiot!!!

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Grem said:

Why would they do that? It makes no sense! What does it matter when you upgrade? Today? Tomorrow? Next month? What if you ain't got the jack right now? Things are tight?

So TT has said "If ya don't give me your money now, I don't want your money ever!" Who's running that company? A f'n idiot!!!

That's an accurate synopsis...

• Like 1

I guess with being less strapped for money than most music makers I just jumped on SD3 when I saw the improvements. That is odd behaviour though ( re upgrade policy). I’ll grant you that. Anyhow after 3 hours of download I have the new German studio drums. I also got the orchestra SDX, it’s excellent.

• Like 1

I can't help but think Toontrack's relationship with dealers (the fact they actually have boxes) played a part in their closing the upgrade window for SD2 to SD3.  I think they may have did this with SD1 to SD2 as well.  The idea that owning a previous version of a product always entitles you to a discount on the next one perhaps isn't great for the companies involved.  Yes, I know blasphemy.  But it's also a factor in the economics behind the rise of subscriptions for software.  This idea that software is constantly improving but every customer wants all that for little to no cost can be a problem.  Having to constantly grow your customer base because all your existing customers gave you money years ago and now won't contribute to your income can be really tough in small pro-focused niche markets.

What they have done is basically a limited time upgrade discount offer.  Along with complete ending of all sales of the previous version.  It's not very customer friendly, but I don't think it's that far off field.  The product needs to be worth it's full normal retail price, even to previous customers.