Importing Midi Files

garybuckels

A long time user since Pro Audio, yet all of a sudden I feel like a newbie. I dug out some old-old midi song files and dragged them into CWBL current version. The tracks all fill out, push play and the meters move but no sound. Close it then try the same thing with Sonar Platinum and it plays with the proper sounds. Also works properly in Reason 11 and several other DAW's I have. I did a quick search for 'import midi file' in the CWBL reference manual but... Anyone know where to look for this problem/solution? Thanks

If there is no external MIDI hardware to generate the sound, the best solution is make sure no MIDI output devices are selected in preferences.

When no MIDI output devices are selected in preferences, opening a MIDI file from the main menu or dropping the file onto CbB without a project open automatically adds the TTS-1 synth configuring the plug-in to play the file. This is preferable to using the Microsoft GS Wavetable synth.

Thanks Scook,  'edit/preferences /midi/device' only lists  the Microsoft GS Wavetable.  With that checked it plays sound. With it unchecked it doesn't play sounds. Even  when starting new blank project and importing midi file. TTS-1 doesn't load. The grayed out driver is mme. I'm not using an interface. I'm searching the manual but it seems to be cleverly hidden at the moment. lol 

Correct because

11 minutes ago, garybuckels said:

when starting new blank project and importing midi file

is not the same as using File > Open to open the MIDI file or dragging the MIDI file into CbB without a project open. Only these operations autoload TTS-1 when no MIDI output is specified. Import loads part of the MIDI data from a MIDI file (the tempo data is stripped during import) and does not autoload TTS-1.

• Like 1