Wanted midi to control an effect plugin - here is one way I found out!

LarsF

Hi

Steps to take

- Load Bluecat Audio PatchworkSynth on a bus(insert softsynth)

- load effect plugin you want to control on a row in Patchwork(I made one row 3 columns and activate that row on/off button).

- Click on the loadspot for effectplugin and see to that midi input is from host(I think it is by default)

- create a midi track that target PathworkSynth instance.

- done and save as preset in Patchwork and possibly track template in Cakewalk

Now I use a stereo send from audio track to this bus and that works nicely controlling it with midi track.

I have not found another way to do this in Cakewalk.

In my case I wanted to try XilsLab LX122 Premium leslie plugin and compare to leslie emulation built into my Hammond XK3c, but didn't want to bother unless this was solved playing realtime doing leslie.

I made midi learn on horn+drum on/off to expression pedal or mod wheel as you please.

Patchwork is very useful for loading masses of vst midi plugins(piz series bundles as example) together with various VST instruments as well.

So really good investment I think.

Thanks for reading.

May be I do not understand what was your problem... But Cakewalk support MIDI input for FXes directly (till some Sonar X the way was a bit "hacky", but since that time it just works). You need to "Enable MIDI Input" in the "VST2" menu (plug-in window top controls). The plug-in is then visible in the Synth rack and MIDI track output can be routed to it.

• Thanks 1

Cool, that I did not know about, thanks, will be useful in future.

Problem remained though for XilsLab LX122 Premium plugin - nothing worked for redrawing and no presets were visible.

But inside Patchwork everything redraws and works fine. I am to report later to Bakers, but will cumulate some more to report first.

Thanks a lot for the effort.

But to see redrawing issues you probably don't need the midi stuff, if that was the intent.

Clicking to the right of Preset field there should come up a really long preset list menu, all over screen almost. Nothing happends for me, unless running it inside Patchwork.

And without that part the midi input is no good anyway.

The controls on panel seem to work and changes how it sounds etc.

But no cow on the ice, I have functionality through Patchwork right now.

But if can confirm I could link to this thread reporting to Cakewalk.