Every Melody has been Copyrighted

bitflipper

On 2/29/2020 at 4:44 PM, michaelhanson said:

Pretty much a mute point when there is no money in music anyway.

Lawsuit litigation is almost always ALL about money (ambulance chasers are the prime example), so unless someone has raked in a truckload of money off a possible infringement, no lawyer is going to take on a case to get $100 out of someone. Ironically, a lawyer makes a presentation leaving out that key factor. There is a large disparity between theory and practice going on here. The "Down Under" suit was probably the saddest example... the guy who owned the rights to "Kookaburra" didn't even realize till he saw it on a trivia game show, and it destroyed the life of the person in question (literally).

An interesting comment a guy made years ago about his adult daughter who was getting into issues was pretty stark... "I cannot be held liable for her actions, and you cannot get blood from a stone." That pretty much summed it all up in a nutshell. Criminal prosecution, yup; civil prosecution, waste of time/money.

Edited by mettelus

This might be the most fantastic thread I've seen and watched in a very long time.  The 2 videos on the same subject, from the 2 different guys, were wonderful and I watched them both to the end.

My own music composition will not fall into this hole because I have something totally new.  And I'll have to leave it at that until you hear me live, wherein I will explain a little.  But I do have something new and I'm not the least concerned with stepping on others' toes.

But this thread has been phenomenal and I've sent the 2 videos to a pal who is listening right now to them.

Edited by Toddskins
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, Toddskins said:

But I do have something new and I'm not the least concerned with stepping on others' toes.

I will watch out for your new stuff... Sounds interesting :)

My solution is, I rarely compose anything with a melody. So I should be okay providing someone doesn't copyright Middle C held for ten minutes 😁

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Starise said:

Music was intended to be eternal in my opinion. As such there is no end to it and almost infinite variations in any given theme.

Well, EVERYTHING is vibrating, so it could be easily argued that everything is music! 🙂

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Starise said:

Music was intended to be eternal in my opinion. As such there is no end to it and almost infinite variations in any given theme.

Synkrotron hit upon something that I would like to discuss, but I won't.  The idea of melody.  There's much more that could be taught on that subject than the world understands.

Regarding eternal music, and it's intention, you hit a homerun, Starise.

The life "under the sun" is of the soul, earthly, fleshly, natural.  The life "unto the Son", is capable (but still almost all is not) of being from God's Spirit, and is heavenly, spiritual, supernatural (still uses all the created elements of music - notes, timing, chords, etc., but its origin is from above).  If you ever get a chance to hear, it will affect you in a much different way than the music we all love(d) as we grew up.  Music that is truly from God's Spirit, will actually minister to you and is FULL OF LIFE and ENERGY.

Again, it's not anything like new age music, which is just a different form of soul music.

Edited by Toddskins
  • Like 2

22 hours ago, Toddskins said:

Synkrotron hit upon something that I would like to discuss, but I won't.  The idea of melody.  There's much more that could be taught on that subject than the world understands.

Regarding eternal music, and it's intention, you hit a homerun, Starise.

The life "under the sun" is of the soul, earthly, fleshly, natural.  The life "unto the Son", is capable (but still almost all is not) of being from God's Spirit, and is heavenly, spiritual, supernatural (still uses all the created elements of music - notes, timing, chords, etc., but its origin is from above).  If you ever get a chance to hear, it will affect you in a much different way than the music we all love(d) as we grew up.  Music that is truly from God's Spirit, will actually minister to you and is FULL OF LIFE and ENERGY.

Again, it's not anything like new age music, which is just a different form of soul music.

Thanks for sharing that. It's sort of what I was driving at in so many words. The origin of music is eternal. It is important you brought up new age music and made it clear that this isn't what you mean't. I know what you mean't  ;)