20487 buffer size crashes

jono grant

Hey there. I use UAD Apollos via thunderbolt. I have a very involved 96 kHz session that I would like to increase my buffer size of the UAD to 2048.  However, if it try to set it there Cakewalk crashes.  I see a message about Page fault in non page area on the blue screen of death.

Any idea what's happening here? Is it RAM related?

Thanks

Jono

4 hours ago, jono grant said:

I have a ticket in to UAD for support on this, yes. I don't know much about crash dumps or event viewer or even how to access them.

I am running the session at 1024 but I'll get the odd audio gap and wanted to try the next higher setting (2048) 

Do you have your antivirus software either excluding the file paths to your sample libs and Cakewalk Content folders, (sometimes called Exceptions or Exclusions in the antivirus software), or you could try temporarily disable your antivirus software, and see if that helps give better stability at either 1024 or 2048.  (important to turn antivirus software back on, if you temporarily had it disabled during Cakewalk sessions).

Bob Bone

30 minutes ago, Robert Bone said:

Do you have your antivirus software either excluding the file paths to your sample libs and Cakewalk Content folders, (sometimes called Exceptions or Exclusions in the antivirus software), or you could try temporarily disable your antivirus software, and see if that helps give better stability at either 1024 or 2048.  (important to turn antivirus software back on, if you temporarily had it disabled during Cakewalk sessions).

Bob Bone

Thanks Bob. Yeah, I actually hate anti virus of any kind. I run Spybot manually every-so-often but don't have anything else running ever. 

This is just immediately crashing if I try to use 2048 buffer or anything higher than 1024. I wonder if it has to do with ram allotment or page file or something like that?

J

5 hours ago, jono grant said:

...I wonder if it has to do with ram allotment or page file or something like that?

Nope.

To start the Event Viewer, type "Event Viewer" in the search box next to the Start button. Under "Windows Logs", click on System. At the top of the event list, click on the "Level" column heading. That will group all the events by severity; you're looking for an entry with a red icon, labeled either "Error" or "Critical". As you click on each entry, a description will appear below the event list. I haven't seen a driver error here in years so I forget what to look for, but it'll reference either cakewalk.exe or your driver's DLL filename.

13 hours ago, bitflipper said:

Nope.

To start the Event Viewer, type "Event Viewer" in the search box next to the Start button. Under "Windows Logs", click on System. At the top of the event list, click on the "Level" column heading. That will group all the events by severity; you're looking for an entry with a red icon, labeled either "Error" or "Critical". As you click on each entry, a description will appear below the event list. I haven't seen a driver error here in years so I forget what to look for, but it'll reference either cakewalk.exe or your driver's DLL filename.

Thanks! I do see tons of errors/critical problems in the list.  I'd love to learn about what this stuff is and fix it all.

On another note, my original problem is solved, the Realtek sound card on my motherboard was somehow enabled and should have been disabled. I can load up 96 kHz at 4096 if I need to now after disabling it.

Cheers