Converting a midi track that uses the track's midi arpeggiator

timboalogo

Almost ran out of room in the Title ...

1) so I have a midi track, playing a 2 measure (bass) note

2) In the arpeggiator that appears in the inspector, I have turned on the arpeggiator and chosen a preset from the "load preset" dropdown

3) the track plays beautifully through a vsti, did I mention that I am a crappy bass player

4) my question is: since I want to make edits, how the heck do I capture the output in midi?

There seems to be no way, but I'm hoping one of you folks be smarter than I. And has a better vocab.

Thanks,

Timbo

image.png.3b23a7743a05b920e8cb5a14949eed14.png

Edited by timboalogo
Sorry, asked the same question twice!

2 hours ago, timboalogo said:

4) my question is: since I want to make edits, how the heck do I capture the output in midi?

I have never done this with the Inspector-based Arpeggiator. (I have done it with hardware.)  It looks like it might be possible.   If no one chimes in and says how to do it, I am going to try the methods listed here--on line documentation.

Update: Nothing on that page allowed me to record the midi output of the arpeggiator.  Maybe someone else has been able to do it.

Update 2: Not sure this is the best way to do it, but in a simple test of a single arpeggiated note I recorded the arp pattern as audio, then exported it, then imported it to a midi track and let Cakewalk do its audio conversion to midi.

I hope there's a better, more efficient way to record patterns as midi data.

Edited by User 905133

12 minutes ago, timboalogo said:

Thanks for trying, 7 of 9

It wasn't clear that update 2 worked or not - I assume it did. It was my plan B but ...

Timbo

Sorry I didn't make that clear--yes it worked. I also tried it again with a test audio arp track that did a few weeks ago.  It took a while because it was much longer, but the audio to midi conversion seemed to work.  If you are doing small sections at a time, it should be quicker.

There's a MFX Arpeggiator, too, but I didn't try that.

Not sure if there's anything helpful here: 

Edited by User 905133

• 8 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Thanks for the thread.  I  was really scratching my head about this. I tried all kinds of routing. External arps record perfectly but the internal one doesn't. ounce to clip is so simple but so not intuitive.  Thanks to the forum, and I think the manual needs a real overhaul