[BUG] Freezing track is silent

MikeyT

Dear Bandlab people,

I think this is a bug:

I have a bass guitar track, on which is a gate. The gate is triggered by the bass drum on another track - the gate opens when the bass drum hits, so the bass guitar can be heard. The gate then shuts, cutting the bass guitar off, making it sound tighter.

However, if I freeze the bass guitar track, the resultant frozen track is silent. I presume this is because the code responsible for freezing the track is not recognising the gate is triggered to open by the bass drum, and hence the gate remains closed for the entire mixdown.

Many thanks,

Mikey

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Okay, so I've attached two Cakewalk bundle files that illustrate this problem/bug with freezing tracks:

• Freeze_Problem.cwb - one audio track is a kick drum, one is a pad. There is a noise gate on the pad with a side-chain from the kick drum, so that the pad is only audible when the kick drum hits. If I freeze the pad track, the side input to the gate is ignored and the frozen pad just plays the whole time.
  • Freeze_Problem2.cwb is the same but the audio kick drum is replaced with a midi triggered Session Drummer 3 kick. The result is the same - ie freezing the pad track results in the pad playing all the time. I just tried this out to check whether midi behaves differently to audio.

This is actually quite a PITA. If the bass player is a bit sloppy, I often put a noise gate on it triggered by the bass drum. This tightens the bass to the kick drum with the minimal of effort. However, I'm finding these days that Cakewalk is not handling memory very well and I end up having to freeze tracks during mixdown to stop Cakewalk from crashing.

Is there a specific place on these forums to post bugs?

P.S. I still love Cakewalk :-)

Many thanks,

Mike

Freeze_Problem.cwb Freeze_Problem2.cwb